Subscriber Discussion

Long Range Reader For Parking Garage

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 10, 2017

Does anyone have experience with long range readers for parking garages? Are there any manufacturers that you would recommend?

Brian Rhodes
Jul 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What type / format of credential is this application using?

Both HID and NEDAP make UHF tag/reader systems, but the best answer for a given system often depends on if existing credentials need to also be used.

In general, UHF credentials and readers are used for the best ranges (distances longer than 2 -3 feet), but they require separate tags/stickers than what is usually carried on lanyards.

Scott Bradford
Jul 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have a moderate amount of experience  with NEDAP long range readers.  Their Transit system has 2 types, standard and Ultimate. The ultimate can go up over 40 feet. We use them on large trucks so that way the gates to their lot can open before they get there, so they don't have to block traffic while waiting for the gates to open

They make 3 different types of credentials, a 'card' (that has a windshield holder), a 'hockey puck' round unit with a suction cup, and a 'candy bar' that is designed to be physically screwed on the outside of a construction vehicle.

Their readers and credentials are pricy though..    but one thing I do like is that the readers have relay contacts on them, (as well as weigand) so you COULD just connect it directly to your gate operator and use it as a clicker replacement if you wanted to.

I also learned during an install to remember your highschool trigonometry.. when they say a range of 33 feet, that's the hypotenuse of the triangle. If your camera is on a pole, not ground distance FROM the pole.   So the higher up the reader is, the shorter the distance FROM the pole you can go.

Oh and the guys at NEDAP are really good to work with, both sales and tech support

Second option:

I also have recently tested an HID 1351 active prox card with an R90 Prox reader. I got over 4 feet of range with them.    We were considering using them for employees in wheelchairs that were having a hard time reaching the reader (due to the positioning of the reader near a curb)

The 1351 are expensive, and were ruled out because they would have to issue so many of them. Also, a 1351 card (in my testing) did NOT work on a standard prox reader, but a standard prox card does work on an R90 reader (I got about 12 inches of range real world).  The R90 readers are a lot less expensive than the NEDAP readers mentioned above, though the NEDAP readers have a much greater range.

MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Jul 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

AWID is another vendor I have used for a mass transit client.  They used a tag on the bus to open the gate at the garage.  Worked real well.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions