Subscriber Discussion

How To Export To USB From A Vivotek ND8322P Recorder

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 04, 2017

The police have asked me to secure some video evidence from the cctv system owned and managed by a tenant of ours. When I found out that it was a Vivotek recorder, I thought that this would be simple due to it being a well known company. But the usb storage I have connected, does not seem to work with the ND8322P recorder. I have tried a 2TB usb disk, and a 16GB usb stick. I have formatted them to both exfat and fat32. I have tried different usb ports on the recorder. The manual mention usb sticks with fat file system. But nothing about fat version or size constraints. It is running linux, and should be able to use most file systems, so I do not see why this thing need to be so darn restricted. Have anybody any experience with these recorders, and know how I need to set up the usb stick? Connecting trough network is not possible at this time, but will be something I will try if everything else fails.

I have run into a fair amount of different cctv recording systems over the years. And a lot of them have had really bad user interfaces. But this thing from Vivotek, the ND8322P nvr, is one of the worst. The usual thing with these things, is that they do a fairly good job at connecting ut to cameras and running live video on default settings. Probably because those things need to work before the installer gets his money. But the export, and often the playback and search functions are often implemented badly.

In the case of the ND8322P, there are several bad solutions. You only seem to be able to export from one camera at a time, and the max clip length is 10 minutes. If I need 2 hours from all cameras, I have to spend the day next to the machine. Playback speed is badly implemented. If you play beyond the cached part of the stream, the thing start to skip, and even stop updating the image. This is at the first level above "live" playback, showing only a single camera. To change camera I have to pick a camera, pick a date, and then look for the correct time on the timeline. It does not start up from the time I viewed on the previous camera. And if you just change the camera, the UI say that there is no video recorded, which would scare even a seasoned investigator. To make the recorder check for video, you have to at least pick a date. Then I will show the images from the start of that day, and fill in the timeline. But there is no hint about this being necessary on the screen.

I thought I had seen the worst when I saw the horrible hikvision nvr's, that crash and reboot just because you select too many cameras or ask for too long clips. But that is just because it is badly programmed. The nd8322p is worse. Not by accident, but rather due to some executive or committee decision.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

On a lark, have you considered formatting the USB drive as FAT instead of FAT32?

I don't see FAT32 mentioned in the manual, just FAT, which can mean the older FAT16.

To get the FAT option to appear in the Windows format drop down the USB partition has to be set to under 4GB and maybe under 2GB to actually work, depending.

Although this is quite outdated, the 10 min max export time and the general quality of the software suggests FAT16 is possibly in use.

UI
Sep 04, 2017

Yes. I have considered it. If I had the time, and if I didn't have to stand uncomfortably in a closet/managers office in the back of a fast food kitchen, I would certainly have tried all the fats. But the lower fats introduce the low capacity problems. And now I may as well just wait for tomorrow, when I will have my laptop with me. I just hope I won't have to install that "Vast" stuff again. It totally messed up my network the last time I tried it.

But keep the suggestions coming. I'll try them out when I get the time.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...in the back of a fast food kitchen, I would certainly have tried all the fats.

Though you may want to limit your intake to the unsaturated kind ;)

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 04, 2017

If the manager has a pc on the network you could use the web interface, if he is still running XP ;), or FireFox Extended Release that allows for NPAPI and Active-X

UI
Sep 04, 2017

First fat16 did not work, just as with the other fats.

But then I rebooted the nvr, and the fat16 usb stick was recognized.

Talked to the manager, who was going to talk to the installers about installing some new firmware.

If the stupid thing needs to reboot to recognize removable media, then I will have to do something over the network. But I'm not using the managers pc. What the usbstick may catch there, is probably way worse than what I can catch by licking the wall.

U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Talked to the manager, who was going to talk to the installers about installing some new firmware.

Just how many people does this POS* system have supporting it?

*double entendre acronym intended

UI
Sep 04, 2017

It is as easy to work with as a dead donkey, so I guess they need a lot of help:p

AL
Albert Lin
Sep 06, 2017

Hello Undisclosed End User #1,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please refer to the below instructions about export function of ND8322P. If you have any question, please feel free to reach out to our TSE team: Technicalusa@vivotek.com or Randa Ismail: Randa.Ismail@vivotek.com. Thanks.

1. Click on the Export button ,
  2. Insert a USB drive formatted in the FAT format (not FAT 32 nor exFAT).
    format
  3. Select the "From time" by clicking on the timeline. You can also manually enter the "From time" and the "To time."
  4. Click on the "From time" tab using a single click.
  5. Click on the Export button. 1 2 The export process is indicated on the right. Depending on the length of footage to be exported, this process can take minutes. When completed, a message will display on screen. The default for export is 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after the point in time that is currently selected.
  •  Export time can go till 24 hours of recording

Export function

• Please note that the external HD (eSATA drive) is for external storage not for export.

eSATA

UI
Sep 06, 2017

Thank you for helping and taking an interest:) I have managed to export as much as I needed.

As someone who often do the exporting on these devices, I see a quite common weakness in your product. You are not alone in this, many vms systems have bad and limited export functions. But as I can understand it, this is a mere programming challenge, not a hardware limitation. These limitations should not be a problem to solve for a half decent software developer.

Often, when the police is asking for video, or when I am doing my own investigations, it is necessary to export an hour or more of video, on several cameras. The unit may be intended for investigation on the device itself, but this is simply not convenient or even possible in many cases. Obviously an export like that will take a long time to copy to an usb device. But it becomes very difficult when I am limited to fat16 filesystem, that has size limitations. And even more when I may only export for one camera at a time, and only 10 minutes of video at a time.

It would be more convenient if I could just set the time span I want, and mark the cameras I want, and then go doing something else while the exporting is being performed. The limitations on clip length, 10 min of only one camera, may still be kept if you insist. Just loop over the export job until the whole time span and each camera has been exported. Last night I wasted about an hour babysitting the device, to get what I needed. And that babysitting could have been done by a "while" loop nested in a "for" loop in the software.

I hope your company can take this into consideration when developing software updates or new devices.

(1)
(1)
AL
Albert Lin
Sep 06, 2017

Hi Undisclosed End User #1,

Thanks so much for your valuable suggestions. I will make sure our development team review all of them and do our best to improve our products. 

SC
ShengFu Cheng
Sep 11, 2017

Hi Undisclosed End User #1:

Thanks for reporting the issues of VIVOTEK ND8322P NVR. 

For the format of USB drive, ND8322P does not support exFAT format currently. FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS are the formats it supports now. After the USB drive is inserted, the NVR will have a sound of beep if it recognizes the USB drive. 

The UI of export and playback function have been improved in the latest firmware. Please see the tutorial video that shows how to export multiple cameras for maximum 24 hours at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=e2h4zfoQkCE 

In addition, there is also a tutorial video that shows how to playback more cameras synchronously.

https://youtu.be/k2YkXLTJ88E?t=189

Please check the latest FW for better experience. 

http://www.vivotek.com/nd8322p/#downloads 

We appreciate your feedback which help us to improve our products. Please feel free to contact our technical support for any product issues.

Technicalusa@vivotek.com ( in US/Canada) or  technical@vivotek.com (Global)

UI
Sep 11, 2017

Looks promising. I hope the nvr get a firmware update before my next case on it.

UI
Sep 06, 2017

I don't work for Dahua, but this is relevant. 

They have a few benefits for large file transfer investigations. 

First, for general understanding the low quality sub-stream can be downloaded remotely.  Not all competitors can do that. 

Second, you can do a "backup" that allows you to select the cameras, stream and date range at a single time.  I have backed up to a powered USB 2TB drive successfully. 

Lastly, they have a bulk export tool to retrieve files selected from one or more DVR/NVR's if you register online for their "toolbox"

UI
Sep 07, 2017

Thank you for your suggestions. I will test them out on the nvr when possible.

The stream stuff is not applicable in this situation. It is a tiny local network that I don't want to meddle with. 

How does the "backup" work? Will the device keep recording video while the backup runs, or is normal operation suspended while backing up? What is the backup format? Exe, 3gp, mkv? I only noticed a config backup feature in the manual and in the menus. How do I initiate the backup? And if the usb ports only mount fat16 filesystems, how does it mount a 2TB filesystem. You will at least need a fat32 filesystem, but should use ntfs or ext3/4 or something. And if it can use those, why can't I export to an usb stick with fat32 on it?

The export tool from the "toolbox": Is it an online export, where I connect via network, or is it a "remove the harddrive from the device and connect it to a computer" kind of deal? The latter would be very useful in case of sabotage or other situations where the device is damaged, but the drives are not. This is also something that lacks in many vms'es. I do not have access to military grade media stream/file carving tools, and am usually at the mercy of the manufacturers when it comes to problems like that.

UI
Sep 07, 2017

The above comment is a reply to "Undisclosed manufacturer #3"

UI
Sep 08, 2017

Again, not a Dahua employee and others may have the same functionality.  I don't know the Vitek product. 

Most current recorders use a proprietary format for export to preserve a watermark.   For Dahua and their OEM's it is .DAV. 

Most current recorders are capable of live view, playback, recording and exporting at the same time.

The Bulk Export is a network software tool, however locally there is a "back-up" function that allows many channels for many hours within the same day to be copied at one time.   A long time depending on how many and how long.

Vitek is your source for information on this system.  These are the subtle differences between manufacturers and even products within a single manufacturer. 

UI
Sep 08, 2017

Ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the Vivotek nd8322p. What Dahua or Vitek nvr's do is not really of any interest here, as convincing the owner of the equipment to switch to another brand is neither my business nor my place. So disregard my follow up questions.

Vincent Tong
Sep 07, 2017

There is also another way.  Assign the recorder and laptop statically to the same network and connect them together.  Then you can download the video backup to your laptop from there.

UI
Sep 08, 2017

Yes, I agree that this would work fine in many cases, but I would avoid it here.

Messing around with someone else's network without the IT departments consent is impolite at best. And I will not get consent if I ask. This is a big company, with a big IT department. Connecting a laptop to a LAN like this is likely to set off security measures, while the IT department find out what this new and unknown mac address is doing on their network. This may impact the restaurant's operation and hurt sales. Not a can of worms I want to open. None of the local people understand what I am talking about, and are therefore not competent to give consent, in my view.

Any future exports need to be done locally on the device, exporting to an usb port. If I had not managed it this time, I would have disconnected the device from the local network and plugged the cable into my laptop. It was after all, a police request, and I'll gladly take the heat for them. But as this would probably break recording from several cameras, while I was exporting, this tactic would be a last resort.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions