Subscriber Discussion

Recommended Nvidia GPU For Hardware Acceleration In Milestone Xprotect 2018 R2?

Jack Plunkett
Jul 19, 2018

Which NVIDIA GPU cards are recommended to enable hardware acceleration in 2018 R2 to increase camera density per recording server?

Milestone Goes Warp Speed in Server Performance

Sean Patton
Jul 19, 2018

Here is what the System Requirements Page lists specific to hardware acceleration. I copied in the OS section because it clarifies what OS supports hardware acceleration:

I reached out to Milestone for a GPU recommended list, as I couldn't find one on their website.

(1)
(1)
(1)
Sean Patton
Jul 19, 2018

The NVIDIA GPU capabilities can be found here, but I don't see a way to filter a downloadable list: NVIDIA CUDA GPUs

(2)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jul 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

See the below link.

GPU Support

(3)
Sean Patton
Jul 20, 2018

Shannon,

Thanks for that, its a good resource page, but unfortunately only addresses the Client hardware acceleration, not server related load.

IG
Israel Gogol
Jul 19, 2018

Out of interest, is any system using AMD GPUs? Can they be used at all?

(2)
Jared Tarter
Jul 21, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Israel,

The Milestone software does not support AMD GPUs for any decoding but if they are used in a Smart Client system, the rendering of the video will be handled by the AMD GPU (assuming the monitor is connected to the GPU).

Jared

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jul 20, 2018

Interested in this question as well. Sean Thanks for posting the link to the Cuda GPU listing. I was wondering what a general rule of thumb would be for performance from each model. There is a large price difference between the K80 and the V100. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 20, 2018

The V100 32Gb is a beast, way overkill for a Xprotect display client, however I am not well versed in Xprotect 2018 features. Is Milestone generating any CUDA code usage into their software?

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 20, 2018

Here, Jack - search for the NVIDIA Graphics Card Support List in the Milestone Content Portal.

(1)
Jared Tarter
Jul 21, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Jack,

Officially, the decoding code for the Smart Client, Recording Server, and Mobile Server is supported on any nVidia video card that is Kepler series or newer (look under the second column called "Micro-architecture" to see the series).  The being said, lower end cards (especially in older series) will provide little-to-no benefit.

As for recommendations, I would recommend something in the Pascal series (it is the latest series with the exception of Volta which only has a few cards out right now) not only because it is the current series but also because previous series don't support h.265.  For the recording server, I would recommend a Quadro card because they are designed for 24/7 use, they use less power, and they run cooler.  Also, nVidia updated their EULA recently to say that GeForce cards cannot be used in a data center.

As for which Quadro card, that depends on how many cameras you have and the frame rate, resolution, and codec of those cameras.  In a lot of cases though, a P1000 or P2000 will do fine and if it is a smaller system, a P600 would work.

If you have more details about the system (camera quantity, frame rate, resolution, and codec), I can provide a little more guidance.

Jared

(2)
(8)
Jack Plunkett
Oct 11, 2018

Hi Jared,

Is there anyway to confirm that a server running Recording Server with a supported GPU card is effectively offsetting the resources?  Sort of like enabling the Overlay Details in Smart Client...Is there a way to visually confirm the GPU is actually enabled and working?

Thanks!

Jared Tarter
Oct 11, 2018
Milestone Systems

Hi Jack,

You can use a program called GPU-Z.  You can run it, make sure the Nvidia card is selected from the drop-down at the bottom and then select the Sensors tab.  The value you that you want to look at is the "Video Engine Load".  The is the decoding engine on the Nvidia cards.

If the server is running Windows 10 1709 or newer (likely not the case since it is a server), you can also view this in Task Manager by going to the Performance tab and selecting the Nvidia card.  The "Video Decode" chart will show you if it is working.

(5)
(12)
Jack Plunkett
Oct 12, 2018

GPU-Z does not seem to run in Windows Server 2012 R2.  When executed, it completely locks up the server. Any ideas?

Jared Tarter
Oct 12, 2018
Milestone Systems

That's odd Jack.  One of my lab machines is 2012 R2 and the version I have runs fine on there.  I'm running 2.11.0.  I noticed that 2.12.0 is available now but I'm having issues downloading it for some reason.  I wonder if maybe that version doesn't like Server 2012 R2.

I uploaded the version I'm using to the link below so you can try that one.

GPU-Z v2.11.0

Another product you can try is Open Hardware Monitor.  It doesn't say it is supported on Server OSs but it runs fine on mine.  It also has a section that shows GPU Video Engine load under the Nvidia card.

(2)
(5)
Jack Plunkett
Oct 12, 2018

Hey Jared!  Thanks again!

Downgrading to 2.11.0 worked.  Like you said, there must be something about 2.12 that does not play nice with Win Server 2012R2.  

(1)
Jack Plunkett
Oct 11, 2018

Thanks Jared!  As usual, a very detailed and informative answer to my question!

(1)
RI
Ronen Isaac
Oct 15, 2018
Continental Computers / The Boring Lab

+1 on Jared's comment.  The P1000 and P2000 work really well for Smart Client hardware acceleration.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions