Recently, we significantly improved our site search. Here are the key changes:
- Index all member only content, including comments (previously it was public only via Google, leaving out lots of content).
- Removed site header, footer and sidebar text from the index (previously Google included this, causing poor results).
- Added autocomplete to quickly match search input to specific posts.
- Weighted tests and tutorials to make them return higher in results.
- The search box has been substantially enlarged in the top right corner of each page.
- Sort by date has been added.
- Filter by discussions only and articles only has been added.
Note: we are not using Google. Rather, we have integrated with Swiftype using their API to connect our database with their engine.
You can try it out in the widget below or on the top right of any page.
Let us know if you have ideas for further improvements, concerns or general feedback.