Subscriber Discussion

Does Anyone Here Read Security Journal?

Ari Erenthal
Oct 09, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I came across this in my Googles. Anyone have any thoughts or feedback?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 09, 2015

Never heard of it before.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 09, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Pricey > $1500 / yr

Ari Erenthal
Oct 09, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

$98 a year if you're an ASIS member.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 12, 2015
IPVM

The ASIS membership model is so strange to me. Pay $215 a year for the privilege of paying more for pretty much every information resource they provide.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 12, 2015
IPVM

Ari, I had not heard of it before but I bought one of the articles on CCTV in Jail Housings. It was informative, well research though, as typical with academic papers, dense. It seems to be an excerpt or at least a portion of a publicly available Jail Sexual Assault Project report from the Urban Institute.

Here are some key excerpts from the article:

"Findings indicate that while inmate perceptions of safety changed after implementing cameras, analyses of reported incidents did not yield any effect. These mixed results may be because of a combination of deterrence and detection effects or to cameras not being paired with more effective monitoring."

"The [older] study compared self-reported rates of victimization and offending between inmates living in units with CCTV in the shower areas and inmates living in units without cameras. It found that inmates in camera units reported lower rates of both victimization and offending"

"The following challenges were encountered: (i) two of the cameras were initially placed in easy reaching distance, resulting in one incident of minor inmate vandalism of cameras before they were moved to a higher location, (ii) two cameras experienced intermittent functioning and (iii) cameras lacked visual clarity, which sometimes made it difficult to identify individuals because of blurriness."

"Less than half (42 per cent) [of prisoners] knew the cameras recorded, with 6 per cent believing the cameras did not record and a little over half (52 per cent) reporting they did not know whether or not the cameras recorded."

"Staff at the management and leadership levels were more likely to see value in the cameras, whereas line-level staff expressed concerns about their purpose in monitoring officer activity."

"Although the jail is credited with implementing mandatory video review for every incident and monthly random reviews of video footage, there was little direct monitoring of cameras and random reviews only covered a relatively small proportion of time."

"The results do not bolster confidence in the ability of cameras to deter violence and other types of risky behaviors in correctional settings. However, cameras may still provide important benefits in terms of better evidence for incident investigations and making inmates feel safer."

(1)
(3)
Ari Erenthal
Oct 12, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, there's an interesting thought. Is perception of safety, in itself, a worthwhile reason to implement any security measure? If so, is there a line at which the cost of implementing the measure outweighs the benefits of increased perceived (and not actual) safety? And how do you quantify the benefit of perceived increase in safety? Especially in an institutional setting like this?

U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 12, 2015

"Is perception of safety, in itself, a worthwhile reason to implement any security measure?"

TSA's answer: Yes

"If so, is there a line at which the cost of implementing the measure outweighs the benefits of increased perceived (and not actual) safety?"

TSA's answer: No

(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 12, 2015

I have a couple issues that were given to me free at shows. I'd have to find them to see what content was in them, but yes, they were always well done but dense. I'm not sure I ever finished reading a full issue.

Max Shumeyko
Oct 22, 2015

Recently I made a demo of our IP Video System Design Tool to a group of 15 CCTV designers and I asked them: What professional journals/magazines do you read?

They answered: We don't have enough time for journals.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Oct 22, 2015

Seems like sad commentary. What do they have time for? Staying abreast of the industry requires a good range of education. Maybe not "this" journal, but surely a variety of resources....

JH
John Honovich
Oct 22, 2015
IPVM

Max, so they learn from manufacturers or?

Max Shumeyko
Oct 22, 2015

Yes John, they told me they learn from manufacturers and they visit security trade shows.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

IPVM?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions