HID: Mechanical Locks Dead In A Decade - Agree/Disagree?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Ethan sent this to me earlier:

Very few businesses will use the traditional lock and key 10 years from now, 62% of security professionals believe.

According to survey results published by Assa Abloy and IFSEC, those in the 62% group that think mechanical keys are done in 10 years are "the views of a wide range of security professionals".

Do you agree? Vote:

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Count me in the group that thinks the 10 year deadline is insane. Not even 100 years.

Any survey sponsored by a manufacturer of high-margin electronic access control (ie: Assa) is going to have a vested interest in promoting those products.

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 22, 2016
IPVM

Brian, what does a basic mechanical lock and key cost?

For that prediction to be true, the cost differential would have to get quite close.

Btw, contrast:

• Their statement "Very few businesses will use the traditional lock and key 10 years from now"
  • To "Very few businesses will install new traditional lock and key 10 years from now"

I am not sure if either will be true but the former is almost certainly false because it implies that in a decade the hundreds of millions of existing locks will be replaced.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In 2016, the cost difference is not close!

In general, a complete lock and key kit ranges from ~$50 - ~$200.

Supposing that a commercial user opts for the high-end $200 product, the cost of fitting a door for electronic access is substantially more, on the order of 4 of 5 times more for even a simple door.

Also Mechanical keys may cost $2 to buy and cut, whereas a credential card or keyfob routinely sell for $5 and more per unit, and require addition labor to program or make valid in a system.

There are many advantages to electronic access, but being as inexpensive as mechanical locks is not one of them.

(1)
Brian Karas
Mar 22, 2016
IPVM

This seems like the "analog" is dead argument, only based on a technology that is hundreds of years older and 1/10th the price per unit.

When I think of "businesses", I think of all the doors inside a building that have no need for access control, plus all the smaller stores that don't need every employee to have a key. It would seem that these doors could far outweigh the commercial doors where employees have access badges.

Almost every electronic access control system I've seen also has a door with a mechanical key override. I think some places even require this by code for emergency access in case of power outage, etc.

I don't see how you could have a building that was truly "keyless" in a practical way.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I don't see how you could have a building that was truly "keyless" in a practical way.

Why not? Do you mean they don't exist today? Or the ones that do are not practical?

MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Mar 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Last time I talked with the Allegion A&E rep he mentioned their new NDE electronic lock sets (Wifi enabled) would run at about MSRP $600 for cylindrical. The lock also fits in a standard cutout. With a solution like that I could see locations having more access control, but to hardware every door is just unnecessary and will always be way to costly.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks for the feedback! We profiled Allegion NDE when it was announced in 2014: Allegion Releases NDE Engage, Assa Aperio Competitor.

It has taken them some time to ramp production up and release actual product.

However, I agree with you - lower prices for electronic access will generally help expand to more doors, but keys aren't going to disappear anytime soon.

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 28, 2016

I think this kind of lockset has the greatest potential to make a significant dent in the market, the key (yok yok) reason being, it's self-contained with no need for extensive supporting infrastructure.

We've outfitted some remote buildings for a local city with Viscount Liberty Nano Cubes, and while they're a very slick little standalone system, it still requires a bunch of conduit, wiring to interconnect all the components, and the installation of an electric door strike (or maglock, if you prefer). That adds up to a fair chunk of labour in many cases, plus material costs.

Then there's the ongoing cost of updating the system user lists - if someone leaves and they want to cancel his fob, I need to visit each site and delete it from the system. At least until they network all the sites, then they can do it remotely... but that's even more ongoing cost to maintain that connection. Granted, it's still cheaper to having to get every site re-keyed and then giving everyone new keys...

Okay, that's probably a bad example overall... but with small sites like retail stores, even two or three self-contained locks like Michael describes could be really beneficial - most if not all the staff probably have smart phones, so if that becomes their key, then you don't have to worry about buying fobs or cutting keys... and if you're directly replacing an existing deadbolt, your installation costs are almost nil. I think THAT is going to very attractive to smaller customers that don't need multi-site integration and enterprise-level user management.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 24, 2016
IPVMU Certified

It looks like this group's opinion is basically the inverse of the Assa/IFSEC survey:

Rob Hammond
Mar 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I think the HID prediction is a lot closer to reality then this thread gives them credit for. Granted replacing all or even most mechanical locks is marketing hyperbole. However replacing the majority of mechanical locks to facility entrances and high use locked doors is, in my most humble opinion, very likely. I believe this will happen when the cost of an electronic lock drops to about double the price of an equivalent mechanical lock. This day is not far off. A standalone electronic lock should easily fit into the $200 to $400 price range, once production and competition is ramped up. These locks would not need conduit, wires, a wireless connection, or even periodic updates from someone walking around with an update tool.

I think the future to a large percentage of this market now served by mechanical locks, that don't need the control of an access control system; will be served by locks that don't need to be online. These locking systems will carry the access rights and time schedules on the credential rather than a central database, downloaded to a lock. There will be no need to update the lock's database, as the lock will request it from the card itself though an encrypted RFID transaction.

If you are in the access control business today, be aware that your future competition may be the big box store near you. I don't want to be all doom and gloom, there will always be a need for an access control systems, but it won't look like todays systems!

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Mar 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

your future competition may be the big box store near you. I don't want to be all doom and gloom, there will always be a need for an access control systems, but it won't look like todays systems!

I totally agree with the sentiment here. However, with paper tigers like Lockitron:

I am also not sure how close tomorrow's competition really is at this point. No doubt it is coming, but just how soon?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

These locks would not need conduit, wires, a wireless connection, or even periodic updates from someone walking around with an update tool.