Subscriber Discussion

Dahua DSS 7016 Managment Server

Abdullah Khan
Jan 04, 2018

Hi! I have a client who has multiple branches where he has CCTV installed, and he wants to have their live view, playback, and alarm management through one central device in his Main branch. 

We had a proposal from Dahua, they proposed us this DSS7016 Managment server which claims that it can handle up to 500 IP devices and 2,000 channels.

But I am a bit skeptical about this because its Bandwidth Throughput is 700 Mbps and we have 2,000 cameras with their own views and alarms. 

Does someone have some experience with Dahua DSS 7016, if so, can you advise me on this, is it feasible or not?

JH
John Honovich
Jan 04, 2018
IPVM

Abdullah, we've asked Dahua for feedback on this.

In general, VMS management servers do not stream, receive, nor send our video. To that end, it could be possible to handle large numbers of cameras. That said, I am not familiar with Dahua's architecture here so I cannot say specifically for them. [Update below: Dahua says video is sent through the management server]

Btw, have you already deployed all Dahua recorders and are just trying to find a way to control / access them or are you still determining what recorders to use?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 05, 2018

Yes John is correct in saying DSS7016 doesn't stream the video and only does it when requested so the throughput of 700Mbps is more than enough for most large end clients.

The DSS7016 can handle much more than 2000 cameras from a management prospective they only claim 2000 for the situations where the cameras have a large amount of events coming from them (MD, Video Loss, Masking etc.)

While the DSS7016 is a stable product but you might be better going with DSS Pro as that is where Dahua are putting all the development into at the moment DSS Pro ... I am not sure of the pricing on DSS Pro yet but I do know they will be charging per channel once they get it right so in this case the DSS7016 might be better for you.

We have deployed a lot of DSS7016, be prepared to be spend time in getting to know the product because when a customer is paying money for it they will expect to get something back out of it. 

You almost always end up developing a custom firmware with Dahua for it so be prepared for that too!

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 05, 2018
IPVM

#1, good feedback.

You almost always end up developing a custom firmware with Dahua for it so be prepared for that too

Can you elaborate on this? Why would that be necessary?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 05, 2018

Dahua being Dahua there is always some little feature that doesn't always fully 100% work to what the end user is expecting and when you deal with end clients with 2000+ camera estates they typically are demanding especially when they see they are paying money for it whereas if they are using SmartPSS and it doesn't do something you have the "get out of jail free" clause that it is free software so the expectation is less. Also if the end user has product with different product age they tend to communicate in slightly different ways that is always not possible to see when you look at it 1st.

In fairness to Dahua too if there is a feature a client wants (even though if it wasn't on the spec sheet) Dahua will likely try to implement it for a small fee.

They have a little team that manages the DSS support line so typically once you are getting support they know what they are doing. The tricky part is getting that support :-)

It is far from the perfect product but is good for managing large end user sites with 1000's of devices and you want to bring them together in a managed way.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 11, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Dahua being Dahua there is always some little feature that doesn't always fully 100% work to what the end user is expecting and when you deal with end clients with 2000+ camera estates....

Can you give any examples of some of the custom firmware work for $ that Dahua has done? Of the non-bug-fix type.

Thanks!

DC
Daniel Chau
Jan 09, 2018

[Dahua Official Response]

Abdullah, 

A typical topology will involve DSS7016 connecting to a number of NVR or DVR (up to 500 devices) which in turn connects to front end cameras. Only the live view and playback video streams  ( for display on central monitor) will be going through DSS7016. The bandwidth limitation of 700MB/s will not be the bottleneck in most cases. Please note that video streams for recording in NVR will not go through DSS7016.

If IPC are connected directly to DSS7016 for both recording and liveview, the video streams for recording will go through it. Therefore, the constraint of bandwidth limitation may be reached before the maximum number of devices. For example, 200 IPC @ 4Mbps will consume 800Mbps which exceed the maximum bandwidth of 700Mbps.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 09, 2018
IPVM

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. This part surprised and concerns me:

Only the live view and playback video streams ( for display on central monitor) will be going through DSS7016. The bandwidth limitation of 700MB/s will not be the bottleneck in most cases.

While I agree in 'most cases' this will not be an issue, in some cases it could result in system overload and failure to access video. For example, if there is an emergency or critical issue that multiple people are responding to, this could overload the enterprise server. Another example would be if the recorders are distributed across lower speed WAN links away from the management server (as is common with bank branches). In that scenario, having to send the video to the management server could be impacted by bottlenecks sending the video out from the recorder across the low speed WAN links to the management server and out back to other sites. Do you think these are realistic concerns?

DC
Daniel Chau
Jan 10, 2018

While I agree in 'most cases' this will not be an issue, in some cases it could result in system overload and failure to access video. For example, if there is an emergency or critical issue that multiple people are responding to, this could overload the enterprise server.

DSS7016 can handle the events if the loading does not exceed the capacity as specified.

Maximum Numbers of Users

200 online users 

Events of alarms without pictures

80/s

Events of alarms with pictures

10 pieces

Another example would be if the recorders are distributed across lower speed WAN links away from the management server (as is common with bank branches). In that scenario, having to send the video to the management server could be impacted by bottlenecks sending the video out from the recorder across the low speed WAN links to the management server and out back to other sites. Do you think these are realistic concerns?

Yes, bandwidth is a practical constraint on live view performance. User may not want to pay for higher bandwidth because live view (or remote playback) is only used from time to time. There are a few features of DSS7016 to help address this.

1. User can configure to "use sub-stream (low bit rate) for live view"
  2. Use can configure to "use sub-stream (low bit rate) when multiple windows are opened"
  3. User can configure to use Real Time Priority (automatic drop frame) or Smoothness priority (automatic reduce bit rate) to adapt to bandwidth situation.
JW
Julian Wendler
Feb 26, 2018

forgot to read the rest of the page.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions