New to Axis, *not* new to video surveillance.
Quick version: long time video surveillance install with all Mobotix writing to a Synology RS815+ RAID-6 NAS w/Gbit ethernet, several CISCO managed switches, bonded ports, POE, etc. Cams today: 2xMX-15, 1xD15d, 2xD14d, 1xT-24 intercom. All day/night configs. Things I disliked:
- No IR
- Low light perf. is mediocre with the best lenses they have, and the rest are obsolete.
- MxAnalytics sucks - I went back to motion windows after testing it for quite some time
- S/W VMS options are not to my liking.
I started using Mobotix in 2009 and they seemed ahead of their time back then, but now they have slipped…and MxJPEG..ugh. Proprietary CODECs are not what I want. Starting to convert to Axis + Milestone. Building a custom i7-8700 fanless for the client - will leverage QSV for H.264 decode - but that is another topic.
Recently purchased a Q3517-LVE, in part based on the low light performance and 5MP bakeoffs you folks posted (good work).
Location: outside, climate: Pacific NW. Usage: Pedestrian gate ~10' to object. Driveway gate ~20'. LPR - ~25-100'. May attempt to get Milestone ALPR working, but I am worried it will force me into a very expensive version of the S/W.
Initial impressions: The low light image quality is pretty impressive. IR is almost unnecessary until pitch dark…would be super interesting to see this level of quality low light, WDR, "zipstream" or give me H.265 please, and resolution in a 4k sensor or even a multi-imager like the P3717-PLE.
Running 8.20.1 firmware - latest.
Now, the reason I posted. Questions:
- I’m having trouble writing video to the synology NAS - no I am not running the synology VMS. I can make all of the following events work: SD card video write, email images, MMS notify, FTP also writes mkv image files to the NAS, but I cannot have it write video to the NAS as a network share (syslog shows error 4 - what is that?). While the NAS got a successful test in the VMD4 recipient setup for video writes, it doesn’t work…and when I try to setup the NAS as part of network storage in ‘storage’, it gives me errors like: “couldn’t connect to network storage. check host address, share, username, and password and try again. Documentation sucks - I can’t even find formatting recommendations for the shares and paths. I sense it uses CIFS, rather than NFS. Looking in the system log, I see stuff like this:
2018-06-03T20:33:29.287-07:00 axis-front [ NOTICE ] disks: Disk NetworkShareN1 starting mount w/ id 51
2018-06-03T20:33:29.328-07:00 axis-front [ WARNING ] disks: mount_disks.c : Disk 'NetworkShareN1' NOT mounted (due to error) (4)
2018-06-03T20:33:29.331-07:00 axis-front [ ERR ] kernel: [ 9844.073517] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
2018-06-03T20:33:29.331-07:00 axis-front [ ERR ] kernel: [ 9844.073945] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
2018-06-03T20:33:29.331-07:00 axis-front [ NOTICE ] kernel: [ 9844.073295] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
I tried editing the port in the plain config (since the port shown was not consistent with CIFS UDP or TCP) and then got:
2018-06-03T21:53:52.262-07:00 axis-front [ WARNING ] disks: Last message 'check_disks.c : Netw' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on axis-front
2018-06-03T21:53:52.265-07:00 axis-front [ WARNING ] disks: check_disks.c : NetworkShareN0 stat error Input/output error
I'm sure the username/passwords are correct.
2. Anyone have detailed info on what is different between VMD3, VMD4.2.1, and Motion Guard 2.1.0? If I am using VMD4, is there any reason to continue to enable the others - other than potentially reducing frame rates? :)
Do folks have BKMs on image settings? I spent years tweaking parameters in my Mobotix cams…I’m using mostly defaults right now on the Q3517.LVE.
- in stream settings: pframes = 61? (I run 30fps 5MP most of the time)
- Max shutter = 1/30 - in order to get license plates?
- Max gain = 48db — too high?
- Sat/Contrast/Brightness/Sharpness = 0
- WDR = on, local contrast = 49
- Light env = auto
- IR cut = auto
- threshold = dark
- All IR = on
- synchronize IR = on
- Exposure mode = auto, zone = auto,
- Blue noise = middle, aperture lock = off
- target aperture = middle, exposure = middle
- defog = off
- barrel distortion = off (realize it reduced frame rates from 30 to ~10-12.
- EIS = off
- Straighten image = off
- Capture mode = 5.3MP Forensic WDR
- Stream = 3072x1728, FR = 0 (max), compression = low,
- zip stream = low, Dynamic FPS = off, Dynamic GOP = off
- VBR, H.264 High
- if I enable dynamic GOP and FPS, I’m sure Milestone will deal with it…but will it compromise playback/export of video? I’m seeing some pretty high bitrates at night - I added an overlay to show them and they are 2000-4000kb/s, wowza.
- Any other best-known-methods I should be aware of? I see a lot of additional settings in the plain config section that I have no problem tweaking…The number of settings I am able to tweak in Axis is 100X less than what I did in Mobotix - seems really dumbed down to me...but the image sensor is outstanding.