Camera Cabling Check At ASIS 2017 Government Facility

JH
John Honovich
Sep 27, 2017
IPVM

Next to the convention center for ASIS 2017 is a government facility with 2 cameras mounted, see images below:

What, if anything, would you do to improve them?

(1)
(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 27, 2017

If I could post images from my phone, there are two Sony back boxes that would have cables to the box and not the camera.   One if for pole and thinner, the other has a 120v power supply which probably isn’t needed. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...there are two Sony back boxes that would have cables to the box and not the camera.

If I could post images from my phone...

If the problem is that the button to upload is missing, have you tried landscape mode?  

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 28, 2017

No....Well, I’ll be .....now I see the buttons but the image is on my phone. 

Kyle Folger
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would have used the UNI-WMBB1 and had conduit from that box instead of conduit directly to the camera. This camera installation looks rather sloppy or lazy by not going with all proper mounting hardware.

However, at least it’s not two exterior wall mounted domes. They did at least use a proper mount to keep the dome in a proper orientation for exterior mounting.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 27, 2017

Um, stick them underneath foyer on the entry side? This current installation looks like electrician stubbed out per the integrators wise sales puke, then dumb cctv tech came and analyzed the situation, comprising a grand conceptual design he runs to home depot while on the company dime to buy some seal tight flex and a few connectors. On the way back to the job site to complete this architectural engineering feat of brilliance the tech decides its time for some taco bell breakfast burritos. He then sits in his van filled with fast food wrappers and pigs out on pink slime breakfast sausage while calling all the other technicians complaining about his day. He mentions the PM sent him to the jobsite unprepared, the sales rep eff'd up and he is the only on the planet that can fix this atrocity with his keen intellect. 8 hours later and one return trip the next day to get the sign off this install is complete. 

So to truly improve the situation I would review the installation with photos like these with the whole team and those that keep doing this work are fired. (period).

(2)
Kyle Folger
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Lots of assumptions. The electrician could have done the whole install. Electricians install a lot of cameras. Many integrators in my area don’t really know how to do coduit.

if the soffit area achieves the same FoV, and desired images, then I would go in the soffit area. 

Home Depot doesn’t sell gooseneck mounts so I would assume this install was planned to be installed we see it. I would like to see what the cameras were physically aimed at and how wide their views are.

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Sep 27, 2017

A multi-sensor camera (with a back box) would look better.

On the photographed install, would have at least ran the conduit to the left sides of both cameras; looks amateurish as it is. 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

DRIP LOOP FAILURE on lower camera...

Kyle Folger
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I see a slight loop on the bottom camera. The top camera has a straight path for water to go into the junction box. On the lower camera they could snip the zip ties.

U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Agree with you that the top camera has a back box drop loop problem as well, though I can't see much loop at all on the bottom.  

Maybe after the zip snip, they could swap back boxes as well, which *might* give enough slack for both.  Maybe not though.

U
Undisclosed
Oct 02, 2017
I would dispatch my "b" hacker team for these cameras. My "a" team would be looking at the kludge blob on the light pole at the corner delivering police traffic video. Lots of cables, boxes that looked unlocked, etc. My junior "c" team in training would be inside the convention center going after all the unprotected network switches handling A/V for sessions while W was there, having been dispatched to provide Paul Rothman with an audio feed from the Monday keynote.
(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
Oct 02, 2017

Not knowing the reasons why the specific cameras and mounts were used it's difficult to be critical. With that said there are a couple National Electrical Code (NEC) concerns. The first is somewhat subjective but often sited. An electrical inspector might say the work was not preformed in a "neat and workmanlike manner" (Ref. 2014 & 2017 NEC Article 110, Section 110.12)

The next is straight forward. The liquid-tight flexible metal conduit (LFMC) is not "fastened in place within 12" of each conduit termination." (Ref. 2014 & 2017 NEC Article 350, Section 350.30)

Hope this is useful.

TP

(3)
U
Undisclosed
Oct 02, 2017

R.e. the specifics you quoted - that is useful. Being able to quantify what we're asking folks to do is hard and having specific references always rationalizes the conversation.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What, if anything, would you do to improve them?

What, if anything, did you have in mind? :)

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions