Subscriber Discussion

Blog Asks:The End Of IP Cameras?

MI
Matt Ion
Apr 01, 2016

Yes, folks, Analog HD is poised to destroy IP video. So says this spam email I just received from Claudio at the CCTV Institute (my reference in CCTV, apparently).

Alas, it appears all my existing coax installations and equipment - ALL of them - are using the wrong BNC connectors. I have no idea what this means for my inevitable transition to Analog HD. Maybe they're better suited to IP video's other nemesis, HDcctv?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Apr 01, 2016
IPVMU Certified

- The migration from analog to IP is a complex and expensive task :

- All analog cabling is removed to be replaced by structured network cabling;

- The site will be unprotected until the new IP system is deployed;

- Migration has to be done at once, which means that the customer must have funds available for it;

apparently the author hasn't heard of hybrid systems or possibly has not done a system cut over before while leaving the existing system running while adding new cameras...

(3)
MI
Matt Ion
Apr 01, 2016

Migration in his case also assumes coax. We started using all-Cat5 for our analog and mixed installations years ago, when baluns came down to a reasonable price - besides the "future-proofing", it's just so much easier to work with than pulling a heavy, inflexible RG59 along with 18/2 or station-Z. Terminating in a patchbay and into an RJ45 plug at the camera end that then plugged into a suitable video+power balun, means upgrading to IP becomes as simple as moving a patch cable and swapping the camera.

(1)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 01, 2016

I know the author and he never ever supported IP cameras... he never liked IP and has always fought it... I think he has always been biased towards analog because he worked for analog products manufacturer/distributors so I would only expect something like this...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 01, 2016
IPVM

Like that Honovich guy, always been for IP and against HD analog.... ;)

(2)
(4)
UM
Apr 01, 2016

Just because he owns for IPVM :P

Jon Dillabaugh
Apr 02, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

he never liked IP and has always fought it...

Does he work for Speco by chance?

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Or have a last name that rhymes with "knockoff"?

(3)
UM
Apr 02, 2016

sorry to disappoint you... but he used to work for a Brazilian company called Gravo, a "manufacturer" of cameras, DVRs and security products...

(2)
UM
Apr 01, 2016

Additionally in Brazil (where he is from), IP Cameras sales have been increasing a lot, while analog has been shrinking and HD analog is almost non-existent..

Over 90% of all cities in Brazil that has surveillance cameras are IP... The ones with analog were old projects and/or tender was directed to an analog provider... I would just like to see how you would build a complex city surveillance system with HD analog cameras...

I don't take the merit of HD analog.. Each technology has its Pros and Cons and its field of application... I would not count on the death of IP cameras by HD analog now or ever...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 01, 2016
IPVM

"in Brazil (where he is from) ... HD analog is almost non-existent.."

Really? I get cities are using IP but non-chain stores, small offices, homeowners, etc. They are not using HD analog?

For example, HD analog is the norm now in US big box stores serving small office / home market.

UM
Apr 01, 2016

Yep... HD analog market in Brazil is still in its infancy... although manufacturers are trying to push it, it is definitely not yet mainstream...

Also, for small offices and homeowners I would agree that IP may be just too much, but most of them would use just plain analog instead of HD just because they are very very price-sensitive and you can get some really cheap crappy analog stuff... so no..

We know standard DVRs and analog sales are still quite high in Brazil with single manufacturers selling over 4.000 dvr units (plain analog) a month.. but HD analog has still a loooong way to go in here...

UM
Apr 01, 2016

Also one thing that plays a major role in Brazil is the dollar exchange rate, that currently is very very VERY high... so, 1 single dollar is 4 additional reais (BRL), which is raising the price of everything that is imported, so, price-sensitive buyers would just prefer the cheapest stuff available...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 01, 2016
IPVM

That's interesting. From what Ethan saw in China and people he talked to there, HD analog has mostly killed SD analog in China already. I am curious what makes Brazil different than both China and the US in this regard.

(2)
(1)
UM
Apr 01, 2016

Well.. in Brazil, general acceptance of a new technology takes time and new technology are usually much more expensive... In the private sector brazilians are very price-sensitive, especially in the mid-low end market.

We have the most expensive stuff in the world (and I mean general...), importing taxes in Brazil are very very high and can raise the cost of the product by figures as high as 80%. New technology tends to be more expensive because they are just new (even if they don't cost more.. just like a fancy car here can be much more expensive just because it is prettier, even if its cost in USA is lower than regular cars, take a Camaro for example that can cost 3 times the price of a ford fusion while in USA both cars has the about the same price...).

In Brazil products are taxed in the whole chain of distribution and added to the price which significantly increases the price to the end user so it is taxed when manufacturer sells to distributor, it is taxed when distributor sells to integrator, it is taxed when integrator sells to end user... The the final price of a product, depending on the product, taxes could constitute 60-70% of the price (Of course it depends on the product).

So you can guess why Brazilians are very price-senstivie and will usually go with the lower price, especially the Private sector...

As for the Public sector we rarely see any tender that is written for analog or HD analog, be it in a city surveillance or any public building.. it is mostly all IP..

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If Claudio is in a country that's 90% IP and he's got ready access to Analog HD product and has his marketing material in order, then he could really make a bundle!

Btw, if I'm not mistaken he is/was a member.

UM
Apr 03, 2016

Brazil is definitely not 90% IP... I don't know the right figures but if you count the whole cameras currently active in the country, IP must be way less than 10% total... If you count new deployments IP would still be way low than analog (normal analog, not HD), just because thousands and thousands and thousands of analog cameras are still being sold every month to low-mid market.

In the Mid-high to High end market, IP will definitely have the edge in Brazil

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Ok this article is perhaps more than a tad biased, right off the bat we are presented with this characterzation of the conflict:

Which shows an apparently unarmed IP cowboy being gunned down by a flat footed, doubly armed HD assassin, at close range, with a long barrel pistol that Wyatt Earp would have envied.

Yet other eye-witnesses and more even-handed publications simply reported the duel like so:

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions