Subscriber Discussion

Best Way To Have A Windows Server Based NVR With 140TB Of Storage?

DM
David Matyas
Jan 13, 2019

I have a customer that has 65 Hikvision cameras and they want to use Avigilon as their NVR. The issue is that they want to have about 30 days of storage (motion only, so really it is the equivalent of 15 max).  They want to record at 3 - 4MP and probably a higher frame rate. So my basic math shows that we are looking at 140TB of storage. How do you suggest having that much storage?

Thank you

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 13, 2019

Avigilon has 128TB and 157TB 2U server options this would be your easiest option.  They come with 3 years 4-hour onsite warranty.   

I would also recommend adding the new AI appliance so they can use Avigilon's analytics and Appearance Search on the 3rd party cameras. 

**EDIT 65 cameras with motion only are not going to be 140TB of storage. 

(4)
Mark McRae
Jan 14, 2019
Inaxsys Security Systems

David,

Your calculations seem to be off. If the cameras are H264 and you are recording 4MP @ 30 fps for 12 hours per day, you should be somewhere in the 125TB range. If you turn on the smart codec, it will surely decrease this by a good amount (depends on the actual activity onsite).

for 15 fps with the same considerations as above, you're at about 65 TB.

How many frames per second does your customer want?

If you send me an email (you should still have it), I can quote you our mass storage servers. A single server will do this without any issue.

(3)
Sean Patton
Jan 14, 2019

My first question is: Where did you get the calculation for 140TB? I understand the need for conservative figures, however, our 4MP Hikvision Test showed a bitrate at night with IR of 1.3Mbps down to 840Kbps during the day.

If you take that higher number, and nearly triple it (being overly conservative), and use ~3Mbps for your average throughput, and then considering a high 80-90% activity time, I am figuring a significantly lower storage figure. I am figuring you will need 4-10 GB per camera per day, or approximately 19 TB usable storage (add in extra drives for RAID 5/6).

As Mark noted, it would make sense to check your figures: 140TB / 65 cameras / 30 days is roughly 71 GBytes per camera per day. Unless I'm missing something like a planned expansion, something is not adding up.

If you still believe there is a need for a higher storage figure, there are many options like SAN or large Direct-Attached 3U storage/server arrays.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions