Subscriber Discussion

Are Cameras Without Video Analytics Really A Security System?

Dori Ribak
Jun 10, 2017
RBtec Perimeter Security Systems

I know this might touch a soft spot but i would like to hear people's opinion if they really believe camera is a security system.

My opinion is that if something happens and the video captures someone that the owner of the cameras does not know what is the chance to catch them? You usually see a guy in a hoodie or a stolen license plate.

It's not a real time alarm system and in many cases the cameras are not even connected to the alarm system.
Even with most video analytics they don't fit for the outdoors unless they are silly expensive.

Even so it seems the general opinion and the way the industry operates is that cameras are being put everywhere like a magic solution for any security problem although they don't solve 80% of them in reality.

I've seen businesses that invested thousands of dollars in cameras just to being broken in again and understanding the video they captured is useless even to the police in some cases.

(1)
DS
David Shepherd
Jun 12, 2017

I believe so - the physical presence of cameras acts as a deterrent, which can prevent crimes from happening in the first place. Furthermore, I've actually seen in many cases that footage from customers' CCTV systems has actually been of great value to the Police.

Granted, they are not in any way a replacement for an alarm system, but should be used to complement a good alarm system.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions