I'll play devil's advocate.
What does it matter what they believe here? What practical impact does this have on their lives or society?
Jeez, I bet half of all integrators installers think that coverage area is determined simply by resolution. That's screwed up and it practically impacts the systems they deploy.
It does? I thought that The Earth orbits The Sun. Silly me!
Here's one that may require some deep thinking, depending on your knowledge of science:
Why are there seasons, especially summer and winter?
- The Earth's orbit brings it closer to The Sun in the summer and farther away in the winter.
- The tilt of The Earth's axis brings hemispheres closer to the North or South Pole during the winter and farther away in the summer.
- The tilt of The Earth's axis causes The Sun's gravity to bring the hot core closer to the surface in the hemisphere experiencing summer.
- The tilt of The Earth's axis allows longer hours of daylight in the summer, which warms the surface of the planet.
- The "tilt" or "wobble" in The Earth's axis causes a change in the direction of ocean currents; bring warm water up from the tropics in the summer and cold water down from the poles in the winter.
- The "tilt" or "wobble" in The Earth's axis disturbs air currents, bringing cold air down from the poles in the winter and warm air up from the tropics in the summer.
- Some combination of the above.
- None of the above.
OK folks, Night and Day? What belief was one taught, by whom and when?
When it comes to Beliefs.
Mine is, "I believe. You believe. What you want to believe". Works with the rehearsed know it all door knockers and their pamphlets. So well that when a group of three showed up and I responed with same. The leader paused, and said. "Touche" and shuffled the rest down the street.
As to the proper English and them trick questions? Bottom line, it's what is in hand that 'counts'.
Most times common sense (sence for non-mainlanders?) trumps proper anything.
Wait. Lemme check with Miss Manners. http://www.missmanners.com/ Always good for a chuckle.
Just my dollar $3.98
All those replies...and so little energy into asking "Why?" Why do those people think that? Is it a failing of our teachers? Is it a failing of our society for being easy on people who simper... "But science is hard."? What was the construct of the question or questions? Who did they ask...scientists or did new English speakers? There is plenty to discuss here with the quest of understanding why.