ASIS Hurting, Fills Empty Space Pushing Attendees to Show Floor

JH
John Honovich
Sep 05, 2016
IPVM
ASIS depends on manufacturers to make their money but manufacturers are upset with ASIS poor performance over the past few years. Now, ASIS has taken steps that will help manufacturers but at the exp...

Read the full report here
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Next year: Pokeman

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2016
IPVM

Cringe but you might be on to something. Create a game that requires going to different booths, you have to do something at the booth to get pokemon or points or whatever.

The exhibitors pay to be highlighted / better positioned in the game. The attendees with most pokepoints etc. get prizes.

I almost think this is a good idea from a trade show perspective.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified
(4)
Michael Budalich
Sep 08, 2016
Genetec

If I can find him at ISC East I can find him at ASIS!

(2)
Ari Erenthal
Sep 08, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Then that's 10,000 points to Samsung. Hope you cashed out in time.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Pat, I'd like the IPVM t-shirt for 9,450 points, and the rest on a gift certificate.

Pretty tough, but once I saw the Little Giant I knew Ari wasn't far away.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 08, 2016

They already do games at some shows. The attendees are given a card which requires a unique sticker from each vendor. If they fill the entire card they get a small prize or are entered to win something large like a TV or ipad

JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2016
IPVM

I think a mobile game could be better than a physical/card one, e.g.,

• Exhibitor immediately gets contact info from person playing the game at their booth
  • Their can be questions about the exhibitor's offering the person needs to answer at the booth, benefiting both
  • Easier to manage for the show / scale up, rather than manually dealing with a bunch of cards

Disclaimer: I have never played any form of Pokemon so this is fairly theoretical to me.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Sep 14, 2016

These types of promotions tend to have a poor ROI for the manufacturer. You end up with people stopping by your booth only to get their card stamped with no interest in what you are displaying. The poor quality leads these promotions generate also cause further time/money to be wasted further down the line.

I realize this show is in Orlando, but they have done Vegas, Anaheim, etc. I would suggest ASIS never come West of Chicago for starters. We do not need 2 major shows out West. They need to establish themselves as the premier East Coast show and a true alternative to ISC. I would also suggest they pick one spot and stay there (please not Philly or the ATL). Orlando and Anaheim, right after all the kids go back to school, are also really not that appealing.

(1)
(1)
Luis Carmona
Sep 14, 2016
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Orlando is a great location, but I agree so soon after kids go back to school is a little close.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 08, 2016

The issue of ASIS show are multiples:

• Ongoing changing locations: not having a fix location, that is US centrally based, is an issue….when the show is in west coast, half east coast don’t travel and vis-versa. ISC is in Las Vegas, it is central and easy to access for everyone.
  • Identity: the show use to be end-users focus. Today ISC West bring a lot of end-users as well as SI a Partners. ASIS is struggling to have a true value added compare to ISC
  • Too many tradeshows: between ISC west and East, local distribution shows, vertical market shows, organization shows like SIA and others, it is challenging for Manufacturers to be attending all. The value really must be there for this type of investment. Asis has been declining and the value is more more questionable.

View from a manufacturer…

(5)
ST
Steven Turney
Sep 12, 2016

I would even suggest ASIS is having an identity crisis in the industry and many members are not happy with the association due to previous leadership, lack of benefits to members and an overall neutral to negative perception.

Ive been a member for over 15 years and have never thought less of the value they bring.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 08, 2016
IPVM

Here are some happy ASIS attendees. A well done promo video:

(3)
Brandon Knutson
Sep 08, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Hitchhiking as a bad security practice.

(3)
Hal Bennick
Sep 15, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

This was one of the busiest events I went to all week!

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 15, 2016
IPVM

Hal, did you get your whale leads?

Hal Bennick
Sep 15, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

Not at Texas night, but there were a handful of really solid leads in the booth. I may have a bit of a different experience than others, since I was focusing on a specific area at this show - transportation. People with no interest in mobile surveillance rarely waste their time kicking the EN50155 tires, and people who need mobile surveillance will zero in on the folks who provide it.

Brian Rhodes
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Isn't every night, ever 'Texas Night'?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

packed with hell-raisin', tire-kickin' whales...

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Sep 09, 2016

ASIS Pokemon gets my vote.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 11, 2016
IPVM

Update: the light blue space in the right center was an unsold 20x30' booth, now it has been converted into the 6th lounge.

Net/net, there will be no shortage of spaces to sit down on the show floor.

U
Undisclosed
Sep 11, 2016

On site. No goodies in the handout bag, just a heavy directory and a couple of advertisements. Self-service ribbons available for your badge - you IPVM reporters should definitely pick up the "trouble maker" ribbons.

Luis Carmona
Sep 12, 2016

First FAIL for me so far, at least half an hour, probably more before the shuttle bus for the overflow lot showed up. Bus is overpacked.

Luis Carmona
Sep 13, 2016

.... and then the last bus is at 5:PM, so a cab to the overflow lot it is. Thanks ASIS. I just remember Chicago and ISC West being better organized.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Sep 12, 2016

The main issue that we find is competing with class time. So many security professionals spend all day in classes to maintain the CPP and PSP certificates. It will only be a matter of time before the creation of another clever acronym based certification to generate revenue. In the end that is what it is all about.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 12, 2016
IPVM

So many security professionals spend all day in classes to maintain the CPP and PSP certificates. It will only be a matter of time before the creation of another clever acronym based certification to generate revenue.

ASIS generates 5x more revenue from the exhibitors than they do for certification / education.

At least on that one, I do not think they are doing it for revenue generation.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions