Matt Transue
Jun 05, 2015

Emails, discussion and assignment responses throughout the day

Additional updates to week 4 quiz and posted to class page

Updated and released newsletter for week 4 wrap up. Updated class page

Continued grading finals and resubmits as they came in today

Lunch with John

Some takeaways from lunch:

• Add readings links to the beginning of each class’s presentation for stronger emphasis that the readings are important to do ahead of time or as soon after the presentation as possible. (For Matt)
  • Add a checkbox on student’s course page for them to indicate (on the honor system) that they’ve done the readings for that class/week. (For John)
  • After the first three weeks of each course, the instructor should get an email outlining those who haven’t taken quizzes, done readings, etc. The goal is to proactively help students who may be falling behind. (For John)
  • The week before the final a course feedback survey should be sent to all students. This will hopefully keep their final exam results from skewing their opinion one way or the other. We are looking for honest feedback. (For Matt)

Prepared slide decks for class 9 and 10. Updated with the readings links as discussed above.

Replaced old netgear switch with the Ubiquiti unit that came in last night. Will play with it over the weekend to see if anything particularly interesting jumps out. On the surface, it looks like it has a TON of features, including routing functionality. Another plus is it doesn’t sound like a broken plane trying to take off behind me anymore :)

We have a student (Demetris Erodotou) who is stating he received a preliminary score of 76% after completing their exam. However, our system shows a score of 47%. When I double checked his results I noticed 10 questions that look as if they were not answered at all. He also got 17 questions outright wrong, plus the 10 unanswered questions (27 total incorrect = 54% missed) would equal out to the 47(ish)% that our system shows. He is insisting he did not run out of time or miss answering any questions. Something’s a little fishy here. I will dig into it more this weekend.

I hope everyone has as safe and fun filled weekend!

JH
John Honovich
Jun 05, 2015
IPVM

On a case like this, give him the benefit of the doubt. Mainly I don't want him going away saying we cheated him.

He still needs to pass the retake / response and hold him firm on getting basically everything right.

Derek Ward
Jun 05, 2015
Hanwha

Today:

Did some preliminary calls to internet security resellers for the secret shopper report. Here are general takeaways of the salesmen/saleswomen from my calls:

• Backstreet Surveillance: Awful. Told me CVI kit is best for big and small stores. Do a 8 camera kit. CVI kit costs less than analog kit. CVI competitively priced to analog and other alternatives (wow, big assumption there). Just told me to look at the site without recommending a specific 8 channel package.
  • CCTV Camera Pros: Overall, good recommendations and good salesman. Recommended using HD-CVI 1080p. Mentioned remote access as well as how to position my cameras so IR glare isn't seen on the windows at night. Told me A LOT about the inside and outsides of their whole system. Creating a custom quote and will receive it next week.
  • EZ Watch: Overall, decent in terms of knowledgeability and speaking in layman terms. Asked me to go on to their website and check out this ~$3,000 8 channel system which the saleswoman said was "the best value for my needs". Really wanted to know where my "shop" was located, which I then said I was breaking up and hung up the phone. *Note to self, need a swift exit strategy in case they ask.
  • Security Camera Warehouse: Overall, very knowledgeable but rambly and talked in circles, which could confuse or lose customers. Only reseller that pitched me an IP system so far, saying it was "future proof and the way of the industry". Hammered home remote access, as well as harped on 3 year warranty on ALL products and free tech support for life. Creating a custom quote which I'll have sometime Monday.

Overall, big HD-CVI or HD-SDI push from most. Gave all of them a general idea of the shop when asked for it (note, backstreet did not ask me any questions, and I had to further the conversation). I'm keeping notes in a word doc and I can better amass trends after I finish calls Monday.

- Created a mock floor plan of the skateshop I'll be using when I do secret shopping with online secret shopping calls.
Using Brian's post as a guideline (http://ipvm.com/updates/1493) as well as the Small Chinese MFG's at ISC
(http://ipvm.com/updates/2933) to summarize and present responses. BTW, here is the mock floorplan (Haven't labeled it yet, but the wood section is supposed to be the half pipe customers can use after signing a waiver):

- Grabbed more examples for the Camera Quality Presentation.

- Added more test ideas to Asana.

JH
John Honovich
Jun 05, 2015
IPVM

Good job so far.

"Really wanted to know where my "shop" was located"

Just tell them Allentown, it just opened last week, blah blah blah. It's unlikely they are going to unmask you and if so, no big deal, just be honest tell them you are doing a research project.

The most important thing we want is to hear their specific solution and their specific price. The rest (were they boring, stupid, chatty, philly fan, etc.) can be included for color but is gravy.

Derek Ward
Jun 05, 2015
Hanwha

Here's a general question regarding the surveillance reseller report: Should I ask for a quote, reject a quote, or see if they offer to make me a quote?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions