Subscriber Discussion

Camera Manufacturers Default Bandwidth Settings. Good Or Bad?

Tom McFeely
May 13, 2015

Does using a camera manufacturers default settings when it comes to CBR or VBR, and also their specific bandwidth requirements, always guarantee the best outcome and image quality? (assuming that the network has ample availability)

Octavio Villa R.
May 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I don't think so. CBR will adjust quality and frames per second(fps) settings in order to keep bitrate constant, VBR will change the use of bitrate (bandwith usage) in order to keep quality and fps as specified, so it depends on how you need the system to performed.

Brandon Frazier
May 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have found some defaults to be a bit ridiculous such as Sony cameras. They default to 8mbps with CBR regardless of frame rate or resolution. I suppose it is safe number for Sony so image quality looks its best out of the box but is way overkill.

Tom McFeely
May 15, 2015

We've not used Sony cameras much, but from the ones we have, I would say that it's Vivotek that stand out with regard to default Mbps being not only high, but inconsistent between the same model of cameras.

We can but try...........

Thanks for your feedback guys!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions