Please Introduce Yourself!

Brian Rhodes
Apr 23, 2013
IPVMU Certified

As your first discussion assignment, please give a short introduction of yourself. There's no need to write a book here - just give the basics of who you are, your background, and other details that help your fellow students know you better.

I'll start:

My name is Brian Rhodes, and I've been with IPVM for just over 14 months. I'll be the primary instructor and facilitator for this class, although you'll notice others pop in.

Before coming to work with John, Ethan, and Carlton, I was the engineering manager for a system integrator and door hardware manufacturer (see my LinkedIn profile). Electronic Access Control was core to our business. Like you, I was a member of IPVM for several years during that time, and really came to appreciate quality, deep, brand-agnostic information the site offered... We have built this access control class on the same precepts!

Personally, I am pretty approachable and have a good sense of humor, so do not be afraid to contact me directly for any reason. I really enjoy getting to know our IPVMU students better, and am motivated to make this a great investment of your time.

JS
Jeppie Sumpter
Apr 23, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Jeppie Sumpter. I work for Western Kentucky University. I am currently the Director of Communication Technologies which covers the Data Network, Voice, A/V, AudioVideo Conferencing, Communications Cabling, Digital Signage, and video surveillance for the University. We also handle Electronic Access Control for IT and considering some options to internalize that as well for the whole Univ. like we have other services like video surveillance.

Prior to this role I was the Lead Network Engineer for about a decade which entailed the management of the University's data network as well as lots of PM work, design, planning, and coordination of IT-related components of construction and the internalization and standardization of video surveillance services to scratch the surface. The jobs have always been multifaceted which keeps things interesting / tiring depending on the day.

Joel Kriener
Apr 23, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Joel Kriener. I am a Sr. Project Manager / Engineer for a leading independent oil refining company. I have had multiple careers over my 34 years within the organization including Analytical Chemist, IT Support Manager, IT Voice/Data Network Design Engineer, Advanced Process Control and now Capital Project Manager. "Convergence" has been a buzz word I have heard for a very long time. Experience may have tempored my 'first to adopt' attitude but not my enthusiasim for trying new approaches, methods and technologies.

Joel

MR
Mike Reding
Apr 23, 2013

My name is Mike Reding. I work for Brian's former employer who is an integrator. My title is Business Development Manager. In this role I consult with customers and design integrated physical security systems then plan the implementation of those systems.

U
Undisclosed
Apr 23, 2013

Hello, my name is Douglas Meyer. I am President and owner of SMART Surveillance, Inc. in Westmont IL. We provide custom solutions in the controls industry working with OEM's and a variety of security and automation related industries. We are currently working with radio frequency access control technology solutions, security/access/video system related thermoelectric enclosures and standby power.

I have been in business for 20 years. I ventured into video management solutions for industrial monitoring, about 2007. It was around this timeframe I joined IPVM. I continue to look for new ideas and enjoy gaining the advantages from training sessions and certification classes.

AS
Arie Segal
Apr 24, 2013

My name is Arie Segal. Professional career and experience:

1. CATV (Cable Television) VP Engineering
1.1. 11 years experience in planning and performance of cables television networks in buildings, between buildings, urban networks and optic fibers in an urban and interurban networks.

1.2. Planning and performance of networks in the cities: Rishon Le Zion, Lod/Ramle, Krayot, Carmiel, Maalot.

1.3. Urban and interurban optic networks.

1.4. In the city of Modiin fiber optic cable network for each building.

2. CCTV

2.1. 23 years in CCTV in the following companies: Isfar (Sony), Koor-Communication and security, advising and planning for governmental, privet companies and institutions.

2.2. Planning and performance of large scale indoor and outdoor CCTV projects, combining with video analytic.

3. In the last 10 years offer a full range of CCTV consultancy and testing services. A partial activity list:

-VMD test for border fence (including: writing the spec., system planning, supervision, performing intrusion tests and analyzing false alarms).

-CCTV (9000 cameras) system for Mexico City (system planning and writing of the spec. and afterwards analyzing the answers for the international tender).

-CCTV system for Old Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Ramat Hasharon and Naharia (system planning and writing of the spec. and the tender).

-CCTV consultant for Poalim Bank and Bank Leumi– the largest banks in Israel including planning surveillance in 550 branches with 8000 cameras and the sophisticated ATM surveillance system. My work included: planning, writing specs evaluate answers for bids, recommending the winner, supervising, resolve troubleshooting and acceptance tests.

Digital recording system in every branch, operating remote control by the main security control room.

- Planning head-ends upgrade (CATV) to DOCSIS 3.0 for UPC in Romania.

- I lecture and presented courses and seminars on CCTV and fiber optics systems to governmental and private institutions and companies.

WA
Wassim Abu-Zent
Apr 25, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello.

My name is Wassim Abu-Zent and I am the General Manager of a Security Systems Integrator company.

Worked in security for five years now in Access Control, CCTV, and Fire Alarm and Fire fighting.

Interested in contibuting to making IPVM a better place. IPVM is one of a kind!

OP
Oleg Pavlichenkov
Apr 26, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Oleg Pavlichenkov.

I am involved in security systems business since 2000. My current position is head of the project department for Parallax (Kazan, Russia). I am leading a team of qualified engineers responsible for design and implementation of various low current systems (physical security, fire safety, telco, audiovisual, conferencing, etc.)

One of my most notable experiences is a project for Kazan International Airport. We had completed a full scale IT solution (>30 different systems) for two new terminals having capacity of more than 5 million passengers a year.

My recent responsibilities are now drifting from purely technical aspects to management and business development issues. During the training courses, I anticipate not only building me a systematic knowledge on access control systems but also establishing new contacts with colleagues ready to share their experiences in adjacent fields, particularly in system design project management (preparing documentation) and implemenation of various security and communications systems.

James Talmage
Apr 27, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is James Talmage,

I am a computer programmer turned security integrator. I started my own company in 2004, and physical security became our core business cerca 2008.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2013
IPVM

Welcome everyone. Please take advantage of our feature that allows you to display your company or personal URL when commenting. This will help fellow attendees know more about you.

TS
Tariq Saleh
Apr 27, 2013

Hello,

May name is Tariq Saleh and I'm a Security Systems & Integration section head. Our bisness focus on the CCTV, ACS, and FAS. I believe this course will add vlaue to me.

Thanks

U
Undisclosed
Apr 29, 2013

My name is Jeff Brender. I work Barton Malow Company. Barton Malow is mostly known as construction manager throughout the United States. In addition, to construction managment, Barton Malow offers technology consulting to a wide array of customers. I work primarily within the physical security industry. My responsibility includes project design, project managment and business development.

DS
Donny Shaffer
Apr 30, 2013

Hello,

My name is Donald (Donny) Shaffer. I am the Director of Training for Observint Technologies. We develop the DIGIOP VMS platform and infinias access control. Prior to working at Observint, I worked at Integral Technologies/Pelco.

I completed the IPVM Advanced Surveillance course and I am really looking forward to this class.

U
Undisclosed
Apr 30, 2013

Hello my name is John Almquist I am a cctv installer and technician for Spiritech Inc, who would like to learn access control so I can learn to install it for my current employer. We have done some access control, but i have only helped with installing strikes and wiring the readers.

Brian Selltiz
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

My name is Brian Selltiz. My business partner and I (also taking the class) are the owners of a security integration firm located in Long Island NY. We have been in business for about 13 years, started as an IT firm then 4 years ago we changed our business model to focus on security integration only. We primarily install IP video surveillance systems, but as we grow and get more into Access Control I want to make sure we aren't missing any of the basics. I am looking forward to the class.

sy
stephen young
Apr 30, 2013

My name is Stephen Young and I am a communications and security engineer for Arup, a multidisciplinary consulting engineering firm with offices around the world. Most of my work has been on airport projects typically involved in the testing and commissioning of special systems. I took the IPVM CCTV course last fall and found it intense but very enjoyable, so hope that this Access Control course will be the same.

RR
Rich Rumbold
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Rich Rumbold and I am the Material and Equipment Coordinator at Mott Community College in Flint Mich. At this time I manage the database for S2 Enterprise system for controlling HID classroom readers and control the database for the colleges alarm system. I work hand in hand with our Information System technicians in networking and phone systems and with the electronic door and alarm installers. I also am the hard key, core and lock coordinator.

KK
Kyle Kemmerer
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

My name is Kyle Kemmerer. I have been working as a Physical Security technician for a technology integrator for the past two years. My primary focus has been on IP video, but I have also have started becoming more familiar with access control. Through taking this course I hope to increase my knowledge and experience with access control systems.

JS
Jack Sink
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Jack Sink. I have 5 years experience with a systems integrator and door hardware manufacturer as the vice president of marketing and business development. This is actually my second career after spending 25 years leading security efforts deploying technology and services around the world for a large speciality retailer. We pride ourselves on our committment to be brand independent to simply focus on best available technology married to world class reliability. I've seen the disasters that occur when great technology is deployed without the requisite competencies to make it work as designed and have learned doing your homework and being able to walk-the-talk comes from education and experience. I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by highly talented and knowledgeable teammates who compensate for my own shortcomings.My goal in this course is to address at least one of those shortcomings!

JL
Jay Ligon
Apr 30, 2013
Hello, my name Jay Ligon. I have owned PCnet, LP for 18 years which is a network integrator for the commercial and education markets. We have been in the Video Security Industry for 5 yrs and are just now becoming involved in the access control business. Looking forward to this class !!
BB
Brian Buginsky
Apr 30, 2013

Hello, my name is Brian Buginsky. I am an Account Manager with Schneider Electric in New York City. I work closely with end users to design and propose access control and video systems to help keep their facilities secure. I have been involved within the security industry for the past 23 years.

FF
Felix Fayngersh
Apr 30, 2013

Hello, My name is Felix Fayngersh. I'm a senior engineer with Elert & Associates. Elert &Associate is technology consulting firm

I have 37 years experience with Central offices, structure cabling systems, customer owned outside plant fiber optic systems, CATV video distribution systems, overhead paging systems.

For the last 3 years I have desined 5 IP CCTV systems and now becoming involved in the access control systems design.

By taking this course I hope to increase my knowledge with access control systems.

JB
Jason Berkopes
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Worked in the security industry (Manufacturing side) for DVRs (2001-present) and now Access Control (2012-present) since leaving the military in 2001.

Senior Support Technician for Observint Technologies which incorporates both Digiop DVRs and Infinias Access Control. Looking forward to learning more about the install process for integrators so I can better assist them in the field. Also interested in learning about other access control manufacturers as I've only worked with Infinias Access Control.

When I'm not working I'm relaxing by working on my car, or doing the myriad of other hobbies I enjoy.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello, my name is Keefe Lovgren. I am the owner of Nexus Security Solutions we are a ip based low voltages systems installation company with surveillance and access control at our core. I see IPVM and this course as a great tool in expanding our company's knowledge base as well as a great opportunity to communicate with other leading professionals in our industry. I am looking forward to this course and what it has to offer.

JV
James Vogel
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is James I've designed, programmed, and installed security systems for a total of about 8 years. From Simple 2-3 cameras systems to 50+ with access control. im pretty well laid back and easy to get along with.

RY
Robel Yemane
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello everyone,

My name is Robel Yemane. My journey to the Security realm has been an interesting one. After completing my Masters in Architecture in 2009, I took a postiion at an architectural firm in the sustainable design department. In 2011, I moved to Houston, Texas for a better opportunity with a MEP engineering firm as a Revit Design Coordinator. There I realized the immense interest I had for circuitry and how things electrically worked. In 2012, I was recruited by Butchko Security Solutions as a Project Security Systems Designer. Since then, I have expanded my role and am project managing a large project with an Oil and Gas company where I have learned a great deal. From this course, I hope to further my knowledge and competently undertstand/speak to the field of access control and door hardware.

BC
Bruce Cisne
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Director of Operations, Remote Technology Security Services, LLC in Savannah GA. 12 Years experience in access control, video surveillance and intrusion detection. Prior to this, 20 plus years in the construction industry including a BS in Architecture. I hold a Georgia Low Voltage Unrestricted license and am certified by a half dozen manufacturers including three access control manufacturers.

CC
Chad Clark
Apr 30, 2013

hello everyone, my name is Chad Clark and i am brand new to the security field. i recently was honorably discharged from the United States Marine Corps. While in the Marine Corps i was a Field Wireman. ive done lots of work with fiber, telephone networks and ip scemes and routing.

JC
James Crumbley
Apr 30, 2013

Semper Fi leatherneck...

IS
Ian Siemer
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello my name is Ian. I have been involved in the CCTV and Home Automation Industry for over a decade. I would like to learn more about access control and this class seems like a great way to start!

JS
James Stephens
Apr 30, 2013

My name is James. I am the VP of Sales and Marketing for a integrator in California. I have worked in the industry for about 18 months. Prior to that I worked primarily in the telecom industry. I want to increase my knowledge of AC to provide an increased level of support to my team and our customer base.

JC
James Crumbley
Apr 30, 2013

Hey...my name is jim crumbley. I am a consultant in the ATL area. My background is physical security, former military and working in Europe and the US. Investigations, threat mitigation, assessments and training is my background. I have morphed though into the IT world. My company now designs, PM's and manages security systems for large clients.

So, while I know Access Control and CCTV I am working hard to get into the nuts and bolts so that I am a stronger designer and better negotiator.

JB
Jan Berka
Apr 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Jan Berka. I am solution architect and project manager of IP security systems. I worked in past 8 years in many municipal and airport designs and buildouts. My area was CCTV and all physical infrastucture including datacenters and networks. Access system were always side topic and I hope that I could changethis by taking this course.

LK
Levi Koelzer
Apr 30, 2013

My name is Levi Koelzer. I've been a low voltage technician since I've been out of high school, so I currently have about two and a half years of experience installing and troubleshooting data, telecommunications, A/V, access control, and surveillance systems. I look forward to gaining all of the knowledge that I can from this course.

DB
Dan Bilodeau
Apr 30, 2013

Hello my name is Dan Bilodeau. My title is "Critical Solutions Manager" for our firm, Delco Security, here in Canada. I have worked in the security industry since 1998 starting with small intrusion installations to the business development I do along today.

I had missed keeping up with Access Control while developing/deploying Mass Notification Projects over the last couple of years and, I guess IPVM has become my quicker catcher up-er if you will!

KB
Kelly Black
May 01, 2013

My name is Kelly Black, I am a Senior Account Manager for a security systems integrator. I have been in the industry for just over 20 years starting out in accounting and working my way through to business devleopment and account managent where I have been for the past 15 years. I have successfully sold access control all of these years and have a good understanding but have never taken a formal class. I felt that this would be an excellent way to refresh, learn the latest and fill in any gaps that learning on your own can leave you with. I have found that no matter how long you are in this business, there is always something new to learn.

Nino Vaprio
May 01, 2013
SERVICIOS TACTICOS DE SEGURIDAD, S.A.

My name is Nino Vaprio, from the company STS from Panama, I am invoved in the electronic security business in a direct way since 15 years ago, I am a Industrial Engineer.

GC
Gary Conley
May 01, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I manage the technical/physical aspects of the University of Virginia's one card system (other folks deal with the business side), with a primary focus on electronic access control. My job title is Facilites and System Engineer, but most of my time is spent acting as designer, specifier, and project manager for EAC projects. Our card system is CBORD CSGold, which uses a customized implementation of HID's VertX panels and Edge readers. I've been working with the card system and EAC for over 20 years, but most of my EAC knowledge was earned through trial and error - fortunately, none of the errors were serious. :) I look forward to vailidating what I think I know, and learning from others who wrestle with the same issues I encounter daily.

JL
James Laslo
May 02, 2013

Hi, my name is James and I am a CCTV technician for Southwest Surveillance. I have been dealing mostly with the CCTV side of intgration for my past 2.5 years with the company and am looking forward to progressing my knowledge on the Access side of the equation.

We mostly work in the gaming industry and government facilities. We work with coax, fiber, cat5-6 and other forms of data communications.

BL
Brian Leander
May 02, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello, my Name is Brian Leander, I am one of the co-founders of Q-Wire Technologies. We provide IP Video Surveillance integration (my focus) as well as Wireless/Wireline Communication Test Equipment (wireless, copper and fiber test and measurement gear) for our customers in the Caribbean region.

We have been getting a lot of requests from our existing surveillance customers for EAC so this course came along right on time. Looking forward to learning more about EAC and absorbing some of the combined experience that makes the IPVM community so valuable. While there is no substitute for true experience, there is a lot to be said about starting off with the type knowledge base that can be gained from the course and discussions.

BM
Brian Mooney
May 03, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is Brian Mooney. I am In House Technical Support for Genesis Security Systems in the DC area. Our main focus of Access Control is SWH's CCure 800 and CCure 9000 with a great variety of complexity throughout the many systems we support. I have worked in the industry for a little over 12 years now an dhave been with Genesis for 9 of those years.

Really looking forward to this course closing a few fundamental gaps that were created by me learing in th efield in a trial by fire sort of way, which translates into learning only what you need and filling in extra as you progress and explore more on your own.

I have a hard time participating in the live sessions, as I am the proud papa of a 1 year old and my wife works retail, so I am home alone with the boy many evenings and this makes focusing on something other than him rather difficult.

Jd
Jason de Souza
May 06, 2013

Greetings.

My name is Jason, I work in Distribution. I have an IT and networking background. I do not have very much experience with Access Control, but am very interested in learning more about best practices and industry standards. I have worked on the CCTV and IP video side of the business for many years, and am finally taking the time to start the process of understandIng Access Control. I look forward to a great course.

JZ
John Ziolkowski
May 07, 2013
IPVMU Certified

My name is John. I have been working in the low voltage industry for 15 years as a field tech. Most of my background has been in telecom and data but I am now expanding into security/access control. I am currently working as an estimator and I am taking this class to better understand the ins and outs of access control so I can service my customers properly with a good working knowledge of the products and services we sell.

YY
Yolanda Ybarra
May 07, 2013

Hello.

My name is Yolanda and I am the Office Coordinator of a Security Systems Integrator company.

I have been working in security and CCTV area for four years and am now getting into Access Control. I am currently handling all the CCTV and Access Control Bids coming through our office at this time. Prior to that I have been in the Commerical Construction area for 2 years and in the Accoungting field for 10 years and 15 years of legal experience as well.

I have signed up for this class to gain and increase my knowledge of access control systems.

CC
Cameron Crawford
May 07, 2013

Hello, my name is Cameron Crawford, and I am the Technology Systems Manager of a physical security company in Boise, Idaho. I have mainly been a product development and design manager, along with overseeing IT for the company, but now also cover all field engineering for the company as well on barrier systems across the United States (and soon, the world). I earned an MBA about two years ago, but I find myself working as an electrical engineer very often as I integrate access control systems, barrier systems, off-grid power platforms, and IP-enabled equipment. It is a good mix of business, technology, and engineering that keeps me busy and happy.

I am taking this class so that I can help my company better understand the specifications called for in RFPs and PORs, as well as be knowledgeable on the topics of "engineered openings" as our company gets more into that market.

JS
Joe Scamurra
May 07, 2013

My name is Joe. I'm Director of Technical Services for a surveillance firm located in Buffalo, NY. I'm new to the security and access business as of 9 months ago, having spect the previous 25 years in the wonderful world of IT.

AN
Alex Nunez
Jun 04, 2013

My Name is Alex Nunez. I am a Security Sales Engineer for a distribution company. I have 13 years experience in security applications mostly on surviellence. I am looking forward to the class.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions