Subscriber Discussion

Class 8 Assignment - Locate And Report Some Of Your Home Routers Advanced Features

MT
Matt Transue
Apr 02, 2015

Log into your home router and take a screenshot of the advanced features that are available (such as port forwading, VLANs, UPnP, etc.)

Here are some guidelines on how to locate your router's IP address:

• Locate your default gateway, as this is most commonly the same IP as your router
  • Open a command prompt by clicking on the start menu and typing 'cmd'. Click on the Command Prompt to open
  • Type 'ipconfig' and press enter
  • Look for the default gateway address

Command Prompt Gateway Address

• Type the gateway (router's) IP address into a browser
    • Login using the appropriate credentials
    • Each router is a little different and may have advanced features in different places.
    • Take a screenshot of your routers advanced settings and share it.

The results from my Netgear router:

I have highlighted Port Forwarding/Port Triggering, UPnP and VLAN/Bridge Settings.

Router Advanced Features

MD
Mamadou Diagne
Apr 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Lynksys router: Have highlighted QOS, Port forwarding, and VPN

SH
Steve Hodgman
Apr 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My Cable Company, Cablevision, switched recently to online management of the router.

You access and setup the router settings via your online account.

Below is a (text) copy of the reouter Advanced Settings. The online GUI is much better looking!

Router Settings

This page can be used to configure how Internet traffic connects to devices within your home or business network. It is typically used only when hosting a server, using Internet gaming or accessing specialized communications services.

UPnP - Universal Plug and Play

UPnP allows the devices on your home or business network to automatically configure Port Forwarding needed to use those devices for network services such as gaming, data sharing, communications, media streaming, etc. Read on for complete details

Allow network devices to automatically configure UPnP services (Recommended)
Enable automatic cleanup of old unused UPnP services (Recommended)

Port Forwarding

Port forwarding allows computers or devices on the Internet to connect to a specific computer or service within your home or business network. Read on for complete details

Enabled Service Ports Local Host Actions
UDP UDP -> 37778 192.168.1.149
TCP TCP -> 37777 192.168.1.149
Axis All -> 42112 192.168.1.135
QCNVR All -> 85 192.168.1.149

Add Port Forwarding Rule Refresh

DMZ Host

The DMZ Host setting enables advanced users to have all incoming Internet connections forwarded to one device on the network. Read on for complete details

DMZ Host:

DMZ Host not defined

Port Triggering

Port Triggering is typically used to facilitate Internet gaming or chat and other specialized communication protocols. Port Triggering rules are used to dynamically forward inbound traffic coming into a specific port to a host device on your network. Read on for complete details

Enabled Service Outgoing Trigger Ports Incoming Ports to Open Actions

Add New Port Triggering Cancel Save Changes

MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Apr 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My home router is a Belkin N300

Has several advanced features including: Port Forwarding, Mac Address Filtering, and DDNS

TC
Timothy Cross
Apr 03, 2015

Here is what I have

-Tim C.

LM
Luke Maslen
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have highlighted the "advanced features" in my rather old Dynalink ADSL2+ modem/router.

Dynalink-router-advanced-features

VL
Vincent Loustau
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hi,

My home router can be managed from web on the website of my ISP (www.free.fr) or inside my lan. The features are not the same.

In the website i can configure the DMZ, response to ping, port forwarding, IPv6, modify WiFi settings, canal and etc...

The access of all the network settings of the routers directly on the website of my ISP is really convenient if i need to modify something from outside (or if i didn't configured well my NAT for example ;-))

From inside the LAN, everything is different, the webinterface of the router is really multimedia oriented: by connecting it with a web browser you can watch live tv, check tv program, plan a record, etc...You can also manage the parental control, your contacts

It is also a NAS, has airplay, UPnP, etc...And it's DECT master.... And a lot. For home use it's perfect.

Of course, network settings are also accessible, including VPN client and server. There's no VLAN management (it's for home use).

Brian Rhodes
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That's really quite impressive. Just so I understand, your router is furnished by your service provider and isn't something you bought separately, correct?

VL
Vincent Loustau
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Yes, thats it. The router is furnished by the ISP (it is also furnished a set top with blue ray and HDD250GB with the revolution offer or a set top box based on Android TV with the mini 4K offer). You can check here: http://www.free.fr/adsl/ . Also design is awesome and UX really cool.

FW
Frank Weber
Apr 03, 2015

Hi Matt,

Thought I'd provide details on my Verizon MiFi 5510L Jetpack (Novotel Wireless), since I spend a ton of time using this device these days.

VZW Mifi

Regards,

Frank W.

Markus Segginger
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Matt, I am sorry, I can't post any picture here. I use Explorer 11 with Windows 8.1 Professional.

John Ringis
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

my router

DB
Dan Bilodeau
Apr 03, 2015

I have:

UPnP

IGMP

Wi-Fi protected setup

Radio Band

Port Range Forwarding & Triggering

IP Pass-Through

Everything is in different areas. Its a Cisco DPC3825 Gate

MP
Matt Phillips
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a Linksys EA3500 smart wi-fi router and am not able to get a screen shot of it. It is a web based configuration page. The advanced features are in different locations. Here's a list of some that I found for it.

Port range triggering

Port range forwarding

MAC filtering

UPnP

Guest access

Rawle Watson
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a Linksys E1200 Router

SK
Swee KK
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is my home router

SF
Sanford Fisher
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a linksys E1200. It is a basic home router with some features such as mac filtering, separate guest access, port forwarding, DMZ, QoS, HTTPS, and IPv6.

DL
Donald Lundquist
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Didn't think to take a screen shot. My router is a D-Link DIR-655. Quite impressed with all the Avanced Features it has which are:

Virtual Server, Port Forwarding, Application rules, QoS Engine, Network Filter, Access Control, Website Filter, Inbound Filter, Firewall Settings, Routing, Advanced Wireless, Wireless Stream Handling (like QoS priority settings for Wireless), WiFi Protected Setup, Advanced Network(Multicast enable choice), Guest Zone, IPv6 (Configuration Link).

There were also Tabs for Setup, Tools, Status, and Support.

Had no idea a relatively inexpensive router had such capabilities.

Don L

RJ
Rob Jolly
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a D-Link DVA, features spread over multiple pages, a bit clunky:

-access control

-port forwarding/triggering

-DMZ host

-advanced filtering

-MAC filtering

-UPnP

Couldn't find any VLAN or QoS settings.

RF
Robert Freedenburg
Apr 05, 2015
IPVMU Certified

my router is a Belkin F9K1105V2.

It has various features including :Parental Controls,web filtering,access controls,wireless guest access,Firewall includes virtual servers,MAC addresss filtering ,DMZ,DDNS ,plus many utilities to reset unit,factory defaults etc.

AQ
Andres Quevedo
Apr 05, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Modem/router ADSL Model: P.DG A4001N

In advanced settings it has virtual servers and UPnP

AW
Andrew Widmayer
Apr 05, 2015

More problems getting iimage into Post than locating settings

among the other settings, I tried the USB for 'shared storaage" very frustrating

Settings

LK
Loyd Kinsworthy
Apr 05, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My router is a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400v3:

Advanced Wireless Settings

• Wireless Repeating Function (WDS)
  • Port Forwarding to Local Servers
  • Port Triggering
  • Dynamic DNS
  • Static Routes
  • Remote Management
  • USB Settings
  • Universal Plug and Play
  • IPv6
  • Traffic Meter
JV
Jeff Vargo
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

A router Netgear RangeMax N300 Wireless N Gigabit Router WNDR3500v2:

Advanced Settings

• Port Forwarding
  • Port Triggering
  • Dynamic DNS
  • Universal Plug and Play
  • IPv6
  • QoS
Markus Segginger
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

General Information about the Router

Markus Segginger
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Port Forwarding

Markus Segginger
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Remote access

Markus Segginger
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

VPN Settings in Details

Markus Segginger
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Settings for DNS

DR
Dustin Ragsdale
Apr 06, 2015

Linksys router.

JD
Joe DiIenno
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I am using my Comcast Business Gateway Modem/Router as my first example below:

Gateway / router IP login: 10.0.0.1

I also use a Netgear router which I have added the advanced settings below:
Gateway / router IP login: 192.168.1.1

MT
Matt Transue
Apr 06, 2015

Thanks Joe.

Just curious if you're using two routers at a single location for two different networks? Or are these two different locations (home and office for example)?

Again, just curious :)

AK
Anett Klose
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hey,

I have a Fritz!Box 7490. The Feautres are the same like Markus show with the 7390.

• DSL-Router with Firewall/NAT, DHCP-Server, DynDNS-Client, UPnP
  • VDSL
  • IPv6
  • Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall with port forwarding
  • Secure remote access over the Internet with VPN (IPSec)
  • Media server makes music, pictures and videos in the network available to devices in the home network (SMB, FTP, UPnP AV)
  • MyFRITZ!, secure access to your own FRITZ!Box from anywhere
  • Guest access: sharing of existing Internet connection over LAN or wireless LAN
  • Wake on LAN over the Internet
  • Supports devices compliant with DLNA
JR
Jim Rao
Apr 06, 2015
IPVMU Certified

HI Matt, hopefully this will give you a look at my Xfinity advanced options. Easy to get to.

MT
Matt Transue
Apr 14, 2015

Hey Jim,

This looks like their triple play modem. I think it's actually an SMC box.

I've had one of these for awhile. However mine continued to have issues where the web server on the modem/router would lock/freeze and not allow access to it. It actually required a full reboot, which angered my other network devices and caused all sorts of headaches.

After replacing it three times (by Comcast) with no resolution, I decided to get my own router and basically just port everything from the modem to my new router. So now my triple play modem is truly just a modem.

JT
Jaime Trujillo
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Here are some of them: 

EC
Erick Ceresato
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I also have a Linksys E1200

Linksys Features

MW
Matt Watkins
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My router supports Qos, Port Forwarding, UPnP, remote access, and a DMZ feature.

GR
Gary Rioux
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My Router supports all the standard features that are present on most routers these days. I have posted a picture of the forwarding rules section of the configuration. I was connected to the router through my vlan setup in this router so I was able to accomplish this task while on site.

I have also on the weekend configured an older router with the DD-WRT firmware to ack as a repeater bridge - while this one doesn't support that feature that was also a nice feature to use to extend my network to the basement.

Router

RD
Rob Davis
Apr 07, 2015

HI I am not going to be able to complete this assignment - I am travelling and not connected via a router to which I have password, etc, access.

However, I'll ask you to take me at my word - I have regular problems with access from my home connection, and have frequently accessed the advanced features of the router there - Wish I didnt need to!!

Rob

Jesse Nordgaard
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a ZyXEL PK5001Z.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

ISP provided BEC Router

ES
Emily Schenkel
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a Linksys E1200.

I am trying to do a screen shot but I can't seem to paste in the comment. It copies to a word document just fine, but not in the comment here.

At any rate, the advanced features I have are;

IPv6

Guest Access

Mac filtering

Port forwarding

DMZ

QoS

HTTPS

JR
James Randol
Apr 07, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Matt,

I utilize Charter Communications as my Internet Service provider. My Netgear wnr2000 router has the following advanced features; Port Forwarding / Port Triggering and UPnP.

BS
Blair Steele
Apr 07, 2015

The results from my D-Link DIR-615 Router Advanced Settings Tab are:

Class 8 Assignment submitted by: Blair Steele

JW
Jason West
Apr 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

MM
Michael Moges
Apr 08, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hello Matt,

The advanced features on my netgear dual band router are:

Wireless Settings

Port Forwarding/Port Triggering

Dynamic DNS

Static Routes

Remote Management

UPnP

IPv6

Traffic Meter

USB Settings

(I couldn't paste the screenshot into this text box)

Best Regards,

Mike

rh
ryan howell
Apr 09, 2015

I have a netgear router, I currently use port forwarding for test dvrs.

I can also tie down mac addresses and create static routes

KB
Kristina Bebedzakova
Apr 10, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I had more trouble finding the password for my router than posting this. Most of my options are similar to everyone elses: QoS, Port Forwarding, Port Configuration, etc.

RG
Reed Galli
Apr 11, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is a Netgear N300 modem router

BR
Brian Rumohr
Apr 12, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My router is a Motorola Surfboard SBG7802

Has some cool options like ability to block access to the outside world by IP or MAC address.

AP
Antonio Perez
Apr 12, 2015

Hi, Matt.

It shows no Default Getaway?

MT
Matt Transue
Apr 13, 2015

Hi Antonio,

I am sure you have a default gateway, but it does not appear in the screenshot. Can you send the details of an 'ipconfig /all' command?

Are you sure you are using the "Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface"?

Roberto Morales
Apr 12, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Roberto Morales
Apr 12, 2015
IPVMU Certified

JL
Jeff Leach
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Motorola Surfboard

Wireless Router

Here are the advanced setting on my router. I dont have a program to highlight or circle at home.

TL
Tim Lawson
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My wireless service is ATT U-Verse. I wasn't able to log into the advanced configuration page but was able to see the firewall page. U-Verse uses "pinholes" which is the same as port forwarding and VPN settings. Screen shot below:

Allow device application traffic to pass through firewall

By default, the firewall blocks all unwanted access from the Internet. You can allow access from the Internet to applications running on computers inside your secure home network by enabling firewall pinholes. Opening firewall pinholes is also known as opening firewall ports or firewall port forwarding. To do this, associate the desired application with the computer below. If you cannot find a listing for your application, you can create a user-defined application with the protocol and port information.

To allow Internet traffic or users through the Firewall to your LAN devices, applications and servers

Note: On LAN devices which have a Private IP address, once DMZplus mode is selected and you click save, the system will issue a new IP address to the selected computer. The computer must be set to DHCP mode to receive the new IP address from the system, and you must reboot the computer. If you are changing DMZplus mode from one computer to another computer, you must reboot both computers.

RG
Rick Gessaman
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

My Home computer and router are ancient and logons are long forgoten and misplaced.

My Linksys wont allow me tell see this info.

TD
Tan Duong
Apr 13, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Hi i have linksys router E2100 all default

port range forwarding

subnet mask

default gate way

mac address

ip address

CS
Claudia Synnatzschke
Apr 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I have a router from Xfinity. Unfortunately my home computer doesn't take screenshots....I did find out however that the portal was still set to the default user and password since I've never used it. I did change it now...

I have options for Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, Remote Management, DMZ (not sure what it is, it says allowing a computer on your home network to open all ports), and Device discovery. Everything is disabled except for UPnP and Zero Config under Device Discovery.

Looking at some of the other posts I really don't seem to have a lot of options.

SH
Stewart Hill
Apr 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

S Hill Router Class 8

The Advance Feature I've had fun with is MAC filtering of my daughters MAC address when I wanted her off the internet.

DDNS and prot forwarding are a feature I use all the time.

Stewart Hill

MT
Matt Transue
Apr 14, 2015

Hey Stewart,

I know many folks who use MAC filtering (for example) to limit the kiddos play time on devices (iPad, phones, PC's, even Xbox/Playstation).

It's a good solution to a growing problem (though your daughter may disagree) :)

MM
Mike Meldrum
Apr 14, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Our household is utilizing an ASUS-AC68U router. I really like this router, it offers many features that are useful to our household.

Below is a list of the features that I feel are beneficial.

• Network Map, I can see what devices are our network.
  • Guest Network, enough said (although I have it disabled).
  • Traffic Manager, I can prioritize and limit traffic by devices and/or ports.
  • Parental Controls
  • USB Filing Sharing
  • Wireless Configuration
  • VPN, Remote management.
  • Firewall, Most important.

In the past, I have been a big fan of Linksys. Since they moved their management to the cloud, I have decided to move away from Linksys. The ASUS routers have been really good to me. I have since deployed them to multiple locations.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 18, 2015

I followed the steps until I got the default gateway IP: 192.168.1.1; then I typed it into a browser but did not get user name & password, but got many routers from Ali baba! is this IP address not unique for my router?! what steps did I do wrong in order not to be able to log in with credentials?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions