JH
John Honovich
Oct 30, 2013
IPVM

Go.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Oct 30, 2013

Wrapping up Mary Lynn Garcia Draft in the morning after IP camera class.

Contacted city for Dewey Beach update. I'll add the update tomorrow and then update that with whatever the city says.

I'll do the "Camera Live-Monitoring Fail" as a discussion for tomorrow: Cameras in ER where man died were aimed at people deemed security risk: Winnipeg hospital | CTV News -- They were obviously watching live if they aimed the cameras to watch specific people, but their assessment of who should be watched was way off I guess. The discussion will ask: Whats the right way to do hospital security like this?

Got the receipts back from the city of Sunbury for payments to the integrator accused of fraud. I'm not sure how this pricing compares to that of other stuff but what I do see is that after the 50 camera project he was originally contracted to do they kept ordering more cameras. While paying him a steady $2500 monthly for "professional services" Maybe that's just what he charges for installing stuff regularly/maintenance. Just doesnt seem like a good use of the city's money though.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 31, 2013
IPVM

Reviewed the Garcia post. A few things:

“Governments are spending a lot of money on unproven technology ...What we need is a Consumer Reports for security equipment,” she said.

Did she really say that? Evidently she does not know what IPVM is? This is an extremely weird statement considering our position in the industry.

"implementing cameras and although cameras can be used for detection, most of the value of security cameras comes from footage after the fact." Is this her opinion or ours? Presumably it's hers.

Where is she an instructor?

The title needs to be changed - she has 1% name recognition in the industry. Her ideas are powerful but a title with her name won't pull many readers in.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Oct 31, 2013

On the consumer reports comment, I think she meant more of like Yelp for the industry -- somewhere where end users can review systems and post information about what worked and what didn't for their application. I'll clarify that in there.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 31, 2013
IPVM

Really she meant Yelp? Are you sure, because that's idiotic. Yelp only works for things where what's being reviewed in simple and there are lots of people willing to submit reviews. What kind of Yelp reviews does she expect for high end security systems?

Does she even know what IPVM is? Did you explain it to her? Give her an account.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Oct 31, 2013

She does know what IPVM is and I'll give her an account. She didn't say Yelp, but that's my quick description given the context of the comment. She said some kind of system/forum where end users could write about their experiences with security systems for others to read about it and compare.

Derek Ward
Oct 30, 2013
Hanwha
  • Sat down with Ethan and added key findings to the Bosch Microdome Shootout, learning more on how to structure key findings and understanding what would be considered a key finding. Also, went over how to structure sentences more coherently in my writing.
  • Had a meeting with John, and we examined the ONVIF Device Manager tool, and looked at general functionality, such as how certain cameras are ONVIF 2.0 while others are 1.02 and the differences between them. Also started a discussion topic with a quick overview video we shot.
  • Shot Geovision physical overview video. Ben has it, and it's being produced.
  • Added more cameras to the Imager Sensor spreadsheet.
  • Heard back from the Zeiss Chart guys, saying: "This chart is designed for use with our Compact Prime CP.2 cine lenses when the lens mounts are changed. The instructions for the mount change and use of the test chart are available for download from the Zeiss website"... which are the same instructions I found yesterday.
JH
John Honovich
Oct 31, 2013
IPVM

And still not applicable to a surveillance camera. At this point, we will have to figure it out on our own but let's be cognizant that instructions for a camera A should not be used for camera B (model / type), which is what was done here.

SW
Sarit Williams
Oct 30, 2013

Tomorrow:

• I'll update Training article as I get feedback
  • Start on Server Configuration article (unless you'd like Alarm Management first)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 31, 2013
IPVM

Server configuration or alarm management either way, they both need to be done but neither will light the world on fire.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 31, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Finished Access 6 deck

Sent reminders to class

Prepped for both classes

Cleaned up some details and added information on future readings in Access class.

Ethan Ace
Oct 31, 2013

Still going.

Today:

Bosch report edits. Went through these with Derek. This was the majority of the day.

Reviewed his Geovision physical overview video.

Talk with Brian about classes/slides.

Adds to Class 6 slides.

Planning for camera positioning guide.

Word is that CSI is getting a Briefcam demo installed. They asked if we wanted to take a look at that. I said possibly, but not soon. I may give them access to the Exacq server at some point. They're trying to demo some Arecont cameras which don't work in Genetec. But in two weeks they're supposed to be supported anyway, so I guess it depends on timing.

Ethan Ace
Oct 31, 2013

Oh and tomorrow:

- Final edits on Bosch

- Substantial work on Geovision

- Review some of these shorter things Derek's been up to to see what can be closed.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 31, 2013
IPVM

It would be interesting to take a look at the Briefcam setup, especially if this enabled us to do a short test on it. Briefcam ain't interesting enough to spend a ton of time but if we could learn some things about the lower level details / use, it's worth to add to our core research.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions