Tuesday October 22, 2013 Daily Updates

Ethan Ace
Oct 22, 2013

Today:

- Went over upcoming tests with Derek and Figen, plans for the near future.

- Edits to VMD, rework of sections as discussed. Should be complete tonight/tomorrow, ready for pub next monday.

- Go over VideoIQ tests with Figen, cameras to use, etc. Got HD dome from CSI, up and running. All systems go starting tomorrow to get some preliminary stuff done.

- Will review Dummy Camera intro and Axis Sales Post tonight.

- Classes, classes, classes. Good sessions today but the number of questions is surprisingly low compared to other courses we've run. Do you agree, Brian?

- I'm also trying to answer more discussion topics, so fitting that in in between classes today.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 22, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Re: questions

Indeed, questions are light on the IP camera side. This is despite mutiple calls to ask questions during key slides and even interactive 'quiz the audience' questions. I get answers from the audience, but not too many questions, especially in the afternoon session. David Matayas said he's tired, and that's why he hasn't much to say.

I think I need to key people up on audio questions more. (However, Ive tried a couple of times, no one says they have a mic.)

The access class is about normal. I thought the questions were good.

Derek Ward
Oct 23, 2013
Hanwha
  • Wrote intro to the Dummy Camera report, and wrote more for the Axis Sales post.
  • Began working on the image sensor size post. I have an idea of how to present it, it's now only a matter of what conclusions and findings we can draw from it.
  • Took down dummy cameras from tripods.
  • Took part in discussions and classes today. Lots of good information, and Ethan and Brian are killing it handling questions and presenting information.
  • Team Allentown meeting with Ethan and Figen regarding future plans.

I also found out that Screenr allows audio recording from the laptop stereo mix, so when I record the webinar Friday, we can get clean and high-quality audio.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 23, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Did classes

posting new discussion topics now

email to both classes tomorrow

posting videos & slide decks to pages, including Class 5 IP class video from Ben

Tomorrow hitting Genetec Access Test hard, writing, video, the whole test. I am pressing to be complete ASAP.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Oct 23, 2013
Did the IACP post. Videos are still uploading to dropbox. Dropbox says the estimated remaining time is three hours.Met Corey Ray from the COPS Grant program in person at the show and he said to give him a call next week because he would possibly have some news on grants people could use for surveillance systems. The shutdown threw some things into limbo but he said he'll know more by next week.
The chief who "designed the city surveillance system" got back to me. He did not specify Aventura Technologies. They sent me the RFP and aren't sure if they have the non-winning bids. I started drafting something on that here.

Did some follow up emails to cops and consultants I met at the show to make sure they have my contact info.

The story isn't clear about how the contract was put together except for that the project didn't go up for bid. So I'll start with looking for a contract. I called up the guy in question and left a message on his cell phone. He talked to the local paper so I figure he'd talk to us. Doesn't sound like he has a lawyer or anything.

SW
Sarit Williams
Oct 23, 2013
  • Maps: I looked at Genetec's plan manager and it is the most robust in terms of feature offerings. So much so that the first differentiator is becoming clear: Maps can replace the traditional live view/layouts of many unrelated/unorganized cameras to a contextual location view of the cameras and doors for quicker response in case of an incident.
  • Genetc's Plan Manager can integrate with Bing/Google/GIS servers, access control doors, flat files, nested maps, playback from map, etc. Users can navigate the cameras/locations while having a birds eye graphical view of all cameras/doors and interact with them in response to a situation.
  • So far, Network Optix/Digital Watchdog is the worst- their map feature is simply a flat file you add to the grid background/layout and then move the image thumbnail of each camera on it (like you would for their regular layout)- that's it.
  • Avigilon/Exacq/Video Insight are similar in map features- more about these in the report itself where I'll add my notes.
  • 2 left to review: AxxonNext and Milestone
  • attended both classes today
SW
Sarit Williams
Oct 23, 2013

I forgot to mention that I added a web request to all VMS vendors asking whether they use CPU or GPU for video compression- the question from the camera class...

JH
John Honovich
Oct 23, 2013
IPVM

"Is video compression in your VMS done via CPU or GPU, and both?"

Compression of what? This is unclear to me and likely to the VMS manufacturers. You mean transcoding or? Why would VMSes be compressing video? At least clarify this question.

JH
John Honovich
Oct 23, 2013
IPVM

The maps research looks like it's going well.

My main concern with Genetec is that it's an add on. Please address the additional expense and complexity of this approach.

Oh, and for all of them, if they are version restricted (i.e., available on Premium but nor Entry, etc.), make a mention of that.

FB
Figen Bekisli
Oct 23, 2013

Sat with Ethan and summarized the final edits on the VMD report. Also met with John to get his feedback. All edtiting should be completed by tomorrow.

Started to set-up VideoIQ test cameras.

Also went over the VideoIQ Viewer software and training documents before starting test tomorrow.

Will also start looking at the Bosch color analytics tomorrow.

Attended all three classes today.

Met with team for future test plans.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions