Subscriber Discussion

VPN's And Dahua's Requirement For Port 37777/8 Being Opened Question...

John Campbell
Feb 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Let us say I have a SonicWall TZ600 with 128 vpn capability and I connect a SOHO SonicWall at my client site.  The requirement for Dahua port 37777 is than handled how?

TY

jc

John Scanlan
Feb 11, 2019
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

John, rather than open the front door with port forwarding for port 37777 and other ports required to access Dahua equipment VPN provides a secure encrypted tunnel for that data to travel through.

When you connect those two sonicwalls together via VPN it is similar to devices at either site being on the same LAN.  Deploying a VPN solution negates the need to port forward port 80, 554, 37777, etc.

This is part of the reason that VPN is more secure than port forwarding. If you setup VPN to remotely access that Dahua equipment I do not have the VPN connection details, credentials, or any other information needed to access that equipment unless you provide them to me. However, if you choose to use port forwarding then I and many others will be able to see it online, like shown in these search results from Shodan.

(1)
John Campbell
Feb 11, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Thank you John, if I may is there a preferred  VLAN protocol ie IPSec or PPTP I hope I have those right VLAN's are new to me but I see the need... 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions