Subscriber Discussion

Any Advice For Burying Conduit?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Sep 05, 2018

The industrial drive around one of our buildings is being replaced, and I want to take the opportunity to lay some PVC conduit underneath the drive during the project. Future camera locations are on poles in the trailer lots, which are set out away from the building. All poles are on grassy islands, not connected to the grassy areas of the building.

Only the circle drive around the building is being redone, not the actual trailer lot itself. The idea is that after the circle drive is milled there is a 24-hour opportunity before they start to lay the new road. I’d like to hand dig and lay PVC conduit under the road, extending a few feet into the grassy areas of both sides. The conduit would then be capped, buried and repaved over the next day. The intent is to have the conduit in place, so we can access it in the future. It seems like the perfect opportunity to put the bridge between the building grassy area and the camera grassy areas.

The frost line is about 3 feet, so am I biting off more than I can chew? Is it more difficult than just digging a trench and laying some conduit? Are there special tools/machines that can help? I will inquire if a case of beer can convince the project leader of the road project to use any equipment they have on hand to dig the trench, but I don’t want to bet on them having the right gear on hand or the willingness to help.

Also, any future project to install cameras will require a professional to directionally bore and/or trench from the building to the conduit and them from the conduit to the camera poles……so, is the cost savings of them not having to directionally bore under the road worth the work?

Any insight is appreciated.

Sean Patton
Sep 05, 2018

At the minimum call 811 before you dig anywhere, especially 36" below ground, and if you're not going to hire someone to trench and install the conduit, rent a ditch witch for ~$300 for the day. There's no way it's worth it to dig those by hand.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Sep 05, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'd rent a trencher for a couple hundred dollars for a day before planning to spend two or three days hand digging a trench.

One of those walk-behind trenchers will still take a whole day to make three cuts if they are 36" deep.

Also, consider using galvanized steel conduit rather than PVC.  Even Sch 40 seems to get brittle and break when the ground moves, like under a road bed.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 05, 2018

811 first and always. 

Can the work be included in contractor's scope of work?  A backhoe will do the trick, if the contractor has one on site.  If you steer people away from DIY security installs why would you not take your own advice and hire someone to do it right the first time.  (Rent a bobcat with a hoe if you have to do it yourself)

We run 4" conduit in groups of 2/4/6/8 lately, used to be 2" but we found the cost of 4 over 2 was worth it on long pulls.  As it is a roadway with trailers, I'd suggest pouring concrete to hold the conduit in place, too...it can get costly but you'll be set for a long time.

Stub up to boxes on both sides of the road and you've made future work less disruptive and less expensive.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 05, 2018

There is so much more to this if it’s a public road.

Physically putting a pipe in the ground isn’t rocket science.  I would look at local engineering bid plans by the public traffic, water or sewer agency if you want to know how deep, what packing, what materials etc.  That’s the cheap way to learn.  

The ditchwitch idea...golden and at 3’ I would use the walk behind or riding tractor type.  I like my back.

Obviously 811 for dig marking, IF they will mark for you across a public road you don’t own or have a permit for.   You might be surprised what is under a road that people don’t know about.

In California, above or underground, legally you have to pay a monthly lease fee to cross a public road because the “right of way” is owned.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Sep 05, 2018

I'd probably take your planning a bit further and try to run the conduit closer to actual desired end points on both sides, particularly if you are going to be renting equipment for the job.

At a minimum, you should probably run 2 conduits with a bit of separate, 1 for high voltage, 1 for low voltage.

What are you going to do with the end points? If you leave them stubbed up above ground they are likely to get damaged by grounds maintenance over time. Plus they become possible trip hazards and just look unsightly. If you bury them underground, make sure you have some way to locate the ends in the future. Placing a large bolt or thick metal plate on top of the ends would make them easy to find with a metal detector later.

I'd probably run a conduit pair over to that top-right corner in your image too, not sure if that will cause more disruption in the overall project.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Sep 05, 2018

At 3ft you will need to compact the soil when backfilling or the road will sink over time.

U
Undisclosed #6
Sep 05, 2018

What everyone else said...

and install handholes at each end. Quazite or New Basis type.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Sep 06, 2018
IPVMU Certified

If they are milling the road, that is only the top layer. You will still have asphalt to deal with, that you will have to cut.

It looks like you still have to get to the back corner grassy area which is a lengthy bore.

If you have an installer involved, I suggest you have them involved because the last thing you want is to do this work, then have the integrator say it wasn't right or how they would have designed it.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions