Exit Devices For Access Control Tutorial

JH
John Honovich
Aug 28, 2018
IPVM
One of the most common locking devices is often poorly understood about why and where they are needed. Exit Devices, also called 'Panic Bars' or 'Crash Bars' are required by safety codes the world ov...

Read the full report here
Eric Taylor
Aug 28, 2018
Pelco Inc.

Nice article. I would like to add one caveat. When making any changes to a door, it is important to know its fire rating. Any hardware you add to the door needs to carry the same fire rating as the opening.

(4)
(2)
Eric Taylor
Aug 28, 2018
Pelco Inc.

"Another big constraint of electric hinges are they must be run inside 'hollow core' doors. While running power internally to the door is safer and more secure from tampering risk, it excludes 'solid core' doors, like wood doors, often are."

Although it is more difficult, it is possible to use an electric hinge on a solid core door. The easiest way is to have it prepped at the factory, but it can also be done in the field with the use of a Door Core Drill Guides. 

(2)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 28, 2018
IPVMU Certified

That's a good point, and I'll edit the post to include specialty door raceway drills, like:

(1)
Sean Patton
Aug 28, 2018

The times I've watched people field-drill solid wood doors for Assa Integrated Wiegand locks, are the most stressful 15 minutes of almost any install; that includes drilling holes in the roof of brand new $30,000-$50,000 SUVs for mobile LPR cameras.

(3)
(1)
(3)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 28, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Agree. It is not a job you put the 'new guy' on, and the raceway fixtures can run $600 - $1,000 easy.

(1)
RL
Rei Lin
Aug 29, 2018

I think I prefer Electric Trim (ET) than Electric Latch Retraction (ELR)

Would appreciate if someone could shed some lights on the Pros & Cons of these 2 options.

Although recent years many manufacturers offer a quiet ELR option, Allegion calls it QELR, haven't had a chance to see QELR in action, but I couldn't get the loud noise of traditional ELR off my mind. 

Thanks!

(1)
MR
Mike Ridgley
Aug 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

We use (almost exclusively) the electrified trim function.  The difference is in how they function.  Electronic trim activates a solenoid which allows for the outside lever to "release" but the door remains latched until the user turns the lever and walks through the door.  The QEL uses a motor to actually pull the rods or latch cables and then the user simply pulls the door open.  You have to be careful though.  The electronic trim (in some hardware series) does not allow for key-override, so if this is a front door where a knox box is required, you might have to get creative.  There is a slight delay in the QEL where the electronic trim is instant.

RL
Rei Lin
Aug 29, 2018

Thank you Mike. good summary of compelling reasons that I should stick with specifying electrified trim. :) 

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 30, 2019

There are definite benefits, and in some cases near-requirements, for using electrified trim. That said, it's definitely not always the right choice.

Electric trim is great and occasionally required (depending on AHJ) for stairwell doors where a panic device is required. Since they're stairwells, the doors are required to maintain a "positive latch" so that they can't be blown or pulled open by a fire, but they must be unlocked to allow free passage in and out. They're also very quiet, so they're great in cases where the loud noise of an EL/ELR (or even a QEL/MLR) wouldn't work.

The problem with them is that similar to my post above about their duty ratings, they are simply not as robust as EL/ELR or QEL/MLR products. I won't say it's common, but I've probably seen more ET's fail than I have anything else on panic devices over time.

Additionally, while this is probably a niche scenario, electrified trim also will not work when paired with a door operator, since the trim doesn't actually unlatch the door. The very thing that makes it the right fit for stairwell doors is what prevents it from working with operators. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people specify electrified trim on a door with an operator because it's the least-expensive option, only to realize after it's installed that it won't quite work...

(1)
MR
Mike Ridgley
Aug 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Electrified latch retraction is pretty much being phased out.  Most manufacturers require their special power supply to be mounted above the door within 15-20 feet, requires a 120VAC circuit and also requires a heavier gauge cable from the PS to the panic bar.  There are options available now that there is absolutely no reason to use EL function.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

That's interesting.  Which options are taking EL's place?

MR
Mike Ridgley
Aug 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

For Allegion products, the QEL is an option as mentioned.

TM
Ty Mullen
Dec 02, 2019
COR Security, Inc.

Solenoid based EL options are being phased out. Motorized EL options are taking there place. Both still are "electric latch retraction"

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 30, 2019

I would disagree that there is "absolutely no reason to use EL function."

Simply put, the duty rating of all QEL/MLR devices (at least all that I am aware of) is lower than their EL/ELR counterparts, and in some cases substantially so. For extremely high-traffic or high-abuse doors (i.e. schools, hospitals, or other similar locations), this can make a substantial difference in maintenance and lifespan, especially because the QEL-variants are substantially lower-powered and can't overcome improper door alignments as easily, etc. Not a big deal for the first few years of an install, but when a door has been sitting and baking in the sun for 5 years and being used 500 times a day, it becomes an issue.

There's no question that QEL/MLR is becoming more and more popular to the point that EL/ELR is almost rare, but that doesn't mean they're always the right fit. If it's new construction and panic devices are required, I will always lean towards an EL/ELR device over a QEL/MLR device if the noise from the EL/ELR will not be an issue. They're much more robust devices and will have far fewer issues in the long run.

James Ashley
Sep 17, 2018

The old PS873 did require min 14 gauge up to 100 feet and 12 gauge for longer distances. Reason was that the heavy duty solenoid needed 16 amps of inrush current of 24VDC (for .5 second) in order to begin the retraction process. The new QEL is a motor-driven alternative and doesn't use that scenario. It uses an entirely different power supply (PS914), and thus smaller gauge wire. There are motor-drive retrofit kits available from SDC that only need a 1 amp power supply and uses 18 gauge wire. We've had tremendous success with them (over 100 installations in the field and only one callback that was the fault of the installer). Personally, I don't see latch retraction going away - I see it being redesigned more efficiently.

AA
Abdulwahab Al-Ibrahim
Nov 30, 2019
IPVMU Certified

There is something that I did not get it here. why do I need to put an electronic lock to an emergency door , if the code state that for any circumstance you shall not lock people inside your facility and they shall be able to egress easily !!? and it is an emergency door, so it shouldn't be used from outside (not a main door). I think I should put a sensor/monitor to monitor that door if its closed or open. this is what I think I need to monitor, am I correct ? because i'm confused.

Brian Rhodes
Nov 30, 2019
IPVMU Certified

why do I need to put an electronic lock to an emergency door , if the code state that for any circumstance you shall not lock people inside your facility and they shall be able to egress easily !!?

Because you can lock people out, or keep them outside and only permit them access through the door if they are authorized.

TM
Ty Mullen
Dec 02, 2019
COR Security, Inc.

Who makes this latch extender? I have never seen anything like it.

Brian Rhodes
Dec 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

That's a Detex part:

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 14, 2020

I just ran into one of these, today. It looks wacky in the field. Also, if you're not careful, it will take a chunk of flesh as you try to pass through the gate, as it sticks out about 3 inches into the opening.

Does anyone have any idea how to modify this for access control? The panic bar would work with a HES 9400 or 9600, if this were inside, or on a proper door jamb. I'm not sure what to go with, other than scrapping the whole thing and starting over.

Mark Berger
Jul 15, 2020

Securitech has electrically-released lever trim in the LEXI series that is used in place of electric strikes. Go to LEXI - Securitech

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions