Best Tool For Cutting-In Strikes?

Brian Rhodes
May 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Which tool do you prefer for cutting in mortise strikes on a metal frame?

Dremel / High Speed Rotary Tool? Oscillating Saw? Angle Grinder?  Why?

What do you do to limit burnt smell and sparks?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 29, 2018

Milwaukee Oscillating tool: 

No sparks but lots of noise. 

(1)
(2)
CK
Carl Kristoffersen
May 29, 2018

^^^ What he said, and so useful for so many jobs.  It's really great for doing plunge cuts into wood and especially useful on stucco and plaster.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 29, 2018
IPVMU Certified

What do you do to limit burnt smell and sparks?

Sparks:

Wet/Dry Shop Vac w/ wide attachment

Remove filter

Suck some water 

Vent to outdoors

Optional: Cow magnet in drum.

Smells:

Febreze (made for consumers but strong enough for contractors)

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 15, 2018

I use a dumore die grinder (series 10 or 35), a roto zip with a 4” metal cutting blade and a drop cloth. The dumore is great for difficult cuts inside the frame as it has a long slender “neck” that doesnt get in the way. Roto zip works well for making the long straight cuts efficiently and a drop cloth keeps all that stuff from sticking to their carpet. The smell is not significant enough to warrant anything special, unless its an epoxy coated frame. That stuff can really bother people.

SD
Shannon Davis
Sep 17, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Years ago when I was out in the field my choice was a sawzall and the RotoZip. I got very good and cutting most of the strike out with the sawzall and finishing with the RotoZip. After repairing and replacing Dremels so many times I switched to the RotoZip. Never had to replace it other than brushes once in a while. Now with the really nice 12V small sawzalls this would be even easier and more precise. 

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions