Reddit: Ubiquiti Outselling Hikvision At B&H

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2018
IPVM

Reddit thread: Why are Ubiquiti's UVC cameras sell better than HikVision?

The thread mentions how Ubiquiti is outselling Hikvision at B&H (which is correct currently for IP camera model 'best sellers'). A number of responses cite Hikvision's government ownership and security concerns.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
May 03, 2018

B&H's best selling algorithm can be thrown off by a single large sale. If one lunatic decided to buy a dumptruck full of a product one time, that product will show up as the most popular product in a category until the real most popular product beats it again, which can take a while if all the sales are onesy-twosy, even if people are buying the less popular product all day every day while the more popular product is at the top of the list because of aforementioned lunatic. 

For example, this page would have you believe that Synology NAS servers are a more popular surveillance recording method than Milestone Xprotect, which I find hard to believe, even at B&H Photo. 

Also, RIP NUUO. 

In other news, I love this comment on that Reddit discussion you posted. I'm just going to repeat it whenever Sean or whoever tries telling me that Hikvision is still a good idea.  

JH
John Honovich
May 03, 2018
IPVM

btw, re: NUUO, their website still has them as a top 10 VMS... for 2014.

(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 04, 2018

What is a “non security” VMS?  Snapchat?

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions