IPVM Comment Voting Stats + How Do You Want To Change Voting?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 17, 2018
IPVM

Here are voting stats for the past year:

Net means ((Agree + informative + funny) - unhelpful) with disagree not counting. Net is what we pay out on, at $0.35 per vote. We paid out $4,000 for Q1 2018, for more see How Comment Voting Works And How IPVM Pays You

Few Disagrees

One interesting thing is that there are few disagrees and the ratio of agree to disagree is over 6:1. Unhelpfuls (which is meant for off topic comments) are even lower.

Getting More People to Vote

While there were more than 50,000 total votes in the past year, I am pretty sure 80% of the votes come from a few hundred people, far far lower than who is reading these posts. I'd like more people to vote. It takes almost no incremental time if you are already reading a comment and it helps reward your fellow members.

More Weight For Informative

I was thinking of giving more weight for informative votes, since that is likely the most substantial indicator of value. Any thoughts on that?

Other Ideas

What ideas do you have on improving comment voting?

(2)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 17, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am one of the few hundred who vote and enjoy not only being able to comment but having the additional step of voting. I think upping the reward for an informative comment is a great idea.

I tend to use agree and disagree the most with informative saved for the comments that provide me with good solid info, offers a direct reply to one of my questions or strikes me as particularly insightful and useful.  So I tend to use the informative vote rarely but looks like others use it quite abit.

(2)
(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 17, 2018

Maybe offer the ability to sort view by number of votes by a certain type?  Now we show by latest comment or search. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 17, 2018

I like the way some sites (Reddit, HN, etc.) offer the ability to order posts by votes, including setting a threshold where comments below some value are not shown.

I think this can have the subtle effect of causing people to write comments with voting in mind, hopefully leading to more insightful comments written in the hopes of them percolating to the top. This is particularly useful in longer discussions, which are becoming more common, so that good comments don't get buried halfway down the page.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 18, 2018

I find those threads ordered by votes more difficult to read as you lose context and the thread of the conversation.  Even the ones that have "This is the answer" style that is promoted to the top are more often irritating to me than not.  I prefer to read things in chronological order and skim/skip comments with little value.   But I am in the minority as Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, insert random forum name here ect ect all seem to know in what order I am supposed to read things better than I do.

So it would be fine if that is an option to sort post/threads differently,  I love choices, it isn't one I would use.

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 18, 2018
IPVM

I agree about the issues with sorting by votes. I think the reason mega-sites do that is that when you have the potential for thousands of comments from all sorts of random people (from global experts to conspiracy theorists) sorting by vote (hopefully) exposes better comments and buries the really bad ones.

By contrast, IPVM is just not that big and a lot of the discussion does evolve chronologically even when not explicitly threaded.

(4)
SC
Scott Clingan
Apr 18, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I like it generally as it is, but really like the Informative having more"weight".  Much like Ross I use Informative when when I think something is particularly on point or helpful with specifics.  Those post are generally likely to have been both an Agree and Informative vote from me.  So are they essentially getting more weight already since I voted twice on the comment?  Of course I almost always appreciate a good Funny as well!

(5)
(1)
David Morgan
Apr 19, 2018
Security Dealer Marketing

Hi John - I agree with most of the comments on this thread. One thing especially with having Informative being more weighted than Agree to encourage and validate well thought out comments. 

So one thing I always have to remind myself and the groups that we represent is to not take some of the basic things for granted.  As you mentioned in the original question we have the 80/20 rule whereas 80% of the voting is done by 20% of the audience.  It may be a good idea to do one or some of the following to ensure everyone know's how to use the site:

1. Information bubbles when you hover over each of the buttons (Reply, Agree, Disagree, etc.)  Maybe to each of us that are reading this we take it for granted and you may say Dave are you kidding me?  That's too 101 but remember not everyone may understand the exact meaning of a vote it should be relatively easy code for your developer if you deem this a viable suggestion.

2. Create a tutorial(s) on how to use the site. Also, suggest how voting / engaging not only benefits you but it rewards the individual that took time of their day to share their wisdom. Alright, I must say that I appreciate much of the humor that I've come across on many of the threads and keep them coming!  :)  For example, (and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I'll say it anyway), I don't know how to do this: 

How do you select copy from a previous commenters post like shown above?  If anyone can help me with this that would be greatly appreciated!

3. For the articles that are public, they should be highlighted/promoted moreso as to garner more attention / potential subscribers.

4. Last but not least and especially since I just conducted a session at ISC West on Referral Programs that work with Bob Ryan and Mike Dove, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention creating a formal referral program or some type of incentive for us as users to refer others to become members. I did just notice today that I can invite up to 3 individuals with a free month trial which I'll take advantage of for individuals who I feel would benefit in becoming a subscriber.

Didn't mean to get off topic here on the original question but hopefully there's value in what I shared.  Hopefully one day I'll crack the top 20 ;)

Cheers!

U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 26, 2018

David,

To block-quote someones comment from their post, copy and paste their words into your own comment box and throw quote marks before and after - and then click on the quote button in the B I U bar above the comment window.

Example:   This is the text I want to quote

becomes:

"This is the text I want to quote"

The blue bar won't appear until you Post Reply - but you will see it indent in your text after clicking the quote box.

(3)
David Morgan
Apr 26, 2018
Security Dealer Marketing

Thank you #5!

Appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. I'll start to use it when applicable and will test it now!

David,

To block-quote someones comment from their post, copy and paste their words into your own comment box and throw quote marks before and after - and then click on the quote button in the B I U bar above the comment window.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I am pretty sure 80% of the votes come from a few hundred people, far far lower than who is reading these posts. I'd like more people to vote. It takes almost no incremental time if you are already reading a comment and it helps reward your fellow members.

I'm sure you are right; most do not vote just out of habit, so totals tend to significantly understate the value provided.

Anyway, this is easily remedied by a statistical sampling correction; To account for the reticent 80%, simply multiply the vote totals by a factor of 5 accross the board...

Thanks!

;)

U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 26, 2018

We have these two opposing views: Agree vs Disagree

And also two more opposing views:  Informative vs Unhelpful

I think it is clear (based on uniformity alone) that Funny should also have an opposing view:  Not Funny

It's only right...

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I've always used unhelpful when I find something particularly unfunny because that hits them where it counts, membership credit!

(1)
(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 26, 2018

I admit to measuring the effectiveness of my efforts at comedic responses by comparing the ratio of Funnys to Unhelpfuls.

The closer to 1 that this ratio is, the more rewarded I feel.  ;)

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions