Subscriber Discussion

NVR Alarm Out Options

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 05, 2018

We plan on installing a Dahua 16 Channel NVR and using the IVS to trip the alarm out. The area being covered is a small fenced in an area maybe 20' by 150' off the side of a building. The goal is to trigger an alarm if someone goes into that fenced area.

I assume a relay to a siren would the best option. Do sirens have their own driver? I imagine something like the NVR alarm out to switch a relay, with a 12V power supply connected to the line side, and a siren connected to the load side? What is a typical siren voltage? What would be the switching voltage off the NVR?

Are there sirens with prerecorded audio like "Warning, tresspasser" etc?

And does the alarm automatically turn off?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 05, 2018

There are voice drivers and they use a trigger, can repeat or time out.  The relays on a Dahua recorder have a timer as well.

Be careful of over current through the relay on the recorder. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 05, 2018

In general triggers do not need high current

UI
Apr 05, 2018

True, but the nature of the original question led me to think they haven’t used a voice or siren driver before. 

A popular unit is ann Elk model:

Specifications:
• Operating Voltage: 11 to 14 Volts DC.
• Current Draw: .2 to 2 Amps, (depends on volume setting & speaker load).
• Sound Level: 120 db @ 1 meter, 14 vdc, with one 8 ohm speaker.

While triggers are low current, supplying the entire unit from the relay could make it lock up. 

Scott Bradford
Apr 05, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I've done this a couple of times. The relay output on most NVRs is rated 1 or 2 amps. 12v sirens that are over 100DB are rarely over 1 amp, so you should be fine just splitting the positive side of the power signal up into it.   I would put in an over ride cut off switch on it though.  Those 12v sirens are also really cheap, like $20

What we discovered when tripping a siren off of motion detection was that the thing was going off ALL the time and the customer got so annoyed with it he shut it off.  There was so much motion from the wind, leaves, animals in this remote area that it never stopped.

So, I'd consider looking for another trigger source other than motion. A beam break sensor would be a good option.  Dakota Alert makes some very in expensive ones.  

(3)
UI
Apr 05, 2018

So I looked at the Elk 150RT. It is 6 to 14V and 1.2 amps.

I looked high and low and can not find what the specs are on the Dahua recorder. Dahua NVR4208 All I can tell is it has 2 relays out.

A relay or contact usually has 2 voltage ratings. One is what closes the magnet or opens/closes themagnet, and what the load side can handle.It seems as if I was going to use a relay, I need to know the output voltage of the NVR relay.

We do not plan on using motion. We plan on using tripwire or line crossing. A photo beam would not work due to other reasons.

The building will have door contacts, alarm etc, but the owner would like to have a system that creates a warning before anyone even damages a door, etc.

UI
Apr 05, 2018

Dahua wiki

It appears to be 2amps at 30VDC. 

UI
Apr 26, 2018

What is a good model with a siren driver?

No we have never done anything like this.

It looks like the Dahua can support 30VDC at 2A so it seems plenty to drive a siren.

We need to start wiring tomorrow. Regardless of what we do, it seems like we only need to run 18/2 to the speaker/siren?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Apr 26, 2018

Try this.

Amseco SSX51

I would recommend an isolation relay instead of running direct off the onboard nvr output. Incase of a fault you will have your cheaper relay taking a hit versus the More expensive NVR. If your running a cable to an exterior siren you could try running a 4 conductor 2 for power, 2 for siren tamper). Nice to have it available incase you need it and its not gonna break your budget.

UI
Apr 26, 2018

I would recommend running the DVR/NVR output to an alarm panel that would allow arming/disarming, swinger shutdown and let it drive the siren. 

Brian Rhodes
Apr 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The good news is there are many intrusion alarm sirens that you can use here.

Something like this DSC model:

110db SSP15P, uses 0.5A @12VDC for about $7.

The Amseco model above is a good solution too, especially if that strobe light is a benefit here.

Like Und#4 mentions, use a relay to switch power on/off by taking the negative leg and interrupting it with the relay contacts.  Use the DVR to switch the relay contacts, but a power supply to fire the siren.

UI
May 01, 2018

Why am I having such a brain fart on finding a relay with a 30V control? I am looking for something I can put in a small 4x4 or 6x6 enclosure.

Any suggestions?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 01, 2018

Altronix - RBSNTTL

Would this suffice? Ive used this on the back of old dvrs many moons ago

UI
May 01, 2018

Close and I already saw that but its control voltage is 24V not 30.

I did find this and I think it will work.

relay #1

I also found this

relay #2

The way I understand it, the above device is basically 2 relays in the same housing. They each have their own coil and contact. I should be able to have 2 inputs, each controlling their own siren.

Am I correct?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions