Subscriber Discussion

Is This Video Impressive?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 27, 2018

Saw this video of an attempted car break-in:

Is this considered impressive or high quality by modern standards? Is this what customers should expect for low-light video in terms of detail? Just curious how IPVM guys would rate this.

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 27, 2018

Considering it’s a screen capture and while adjusting the video I saw several opportunities to get an image that is usable. 

Its in a residential area so you can’t put a bunch of bright lights out.

(1)
(1)
Sean Patton
Mar 27, 2018

I would say that's really good, and not your typical residential system.

Just a note when viewing the video on YouTube, it was uploaded at 4K, but initially started streaming at 1080P for me and was a little grainy. Once I set the stream to 4K (on a 4K monitor) it looked significantly less compressed and sharper.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 27, 2018
IPVM

I think this is consistent with our testing - that low light video with IR tends to be somewhat overexposed and somwhat pixelated / noisy, e.g. this from the video:

So it's not marketing video but I think it's realistic, even from Avigilon. :)

(2)
(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 27, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

I think it is representative of higher end, non-low light models. There are certainly better choices out there that would result in higher quality low light shots, or by simply adding more light in the area, to avoid using IR in general. But overall, I would say its above average.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 27, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

And to follow up, I would also suggest they get more use out of the 45x PTZ that covers the driveway, considering the cost. Autotracking maybe?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 27, 2018

This setup may have been a conscious decision not to have tours or anything active in favor of analytics - they only work in the home position with this model.  That's tough to verify without seeing the configuration.  The 45x PTZ is only 1 megapixel so it looks better than I thought it would.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 27, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

My point being, the cost of that 45x PTZ could have been much better spent on a few ultra low light units, better lighting and a fixed cam, or any other numerous more effective options

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 27, 2018

No argument there.  A stationary 1 MP PTZ w/analytics could just as easily have been replaced with any other camera w/analytics from the product line for significantly less cost.  If you've got the money it's a nice toy to have though.

U
Undisclosed #5
Mar 27, 2018

He is Avigilon partner

PTZ just his demo camera

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 27, 2018

On/Off of flood lights and a white car at night, consuming a large portion of FoV, can be pretty challenging. Looks pretty decent given circumstance. The camera is trying to correctly expose the white car leaving the rest underexposed. 

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Mar 27, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The video is average, yet more impressive than the thief.

(2)
MG
Michael Gombos
Mar 28, 2018

What software is that?

U
Undisclosed #6
Mar 28, 2018
IPVMU Certified
MM
Michael Miller
Mar 28, 2018

ACC - Avigilon Control Center

That is old ACC5 the software in the video is ACC6.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions