Vehicle Gate Access Control Guide-old

Brian Rhodes
Mar 07, 2018
IPVMU Certified
Vehicle gate access control demands integrating myriad systems to keep unauthorized cars out. Everything from high voltage electrical, to concrete modification, trenching, welding, low voltage syst...

Read the full report here
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 07, 2018

Great article. 

Brian Anderson, CPP®
Mar 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Awesome article, Mr. Rhodes!

JH
Jay Hobdy
Mar 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Good article.

I will say gates are more complex than I thought. They require some careful planning because once a road is cut up and put back together, you better have all your cables in place.

Loop design is important, we also see arming loops, where the system will not open unless a car is present. It prevents pedestrians from opening the gate. There's other purposes for loops as well.

I also did not see any mention of the safety issues. There are a lot of rules to follow on pinch points, crush zones and impalement.

We have a gate company do all of our gate work. When people call for gate repair, you better be prepared to troubleshoot a REX or weld something. It is a wide skill set.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 08, 2018

Besides fast traffic gates(barriers we call it) what are the best practices to minimize tailgating?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 08, 2018
IPVMU Certified

'Stacking' loops, or placing multiple loops adjacent to each other is one way. For example, a loop directly under the car opening the gate is needed to activate the operator, but another loop behind that vehicle (in the tailgating position) is configured to deactivate the operator if another vehicle is present.

A gate handling mixed vehicle traffic (cars and trucks with trailers) may not be able to accommodate this, but it often works for parking lots or other non-freight vehicle gates.

(1)
mh
mark hooper
Mar 12, 2018

Really well done Sir!

Tim Pickles
Mar 13, 2018
Direct Security

Not detracting from an excellent article and not teaching anyone to suck eggs, integrators in the UK should be aware of the DHF TS 011 code of practice for powered gates & barriers - version 3 2018, that focus's heavily on the safety aspects of automated gates and barriers after a number of prosecutions in recent years.

The Tech Standard has been adopted by NSI so can be regarded as a definitive Code of Practice, with a new NSI category of "Gates Gold".

The recent custodial sentences and fines include: 2.5 year manslaughter conviction and £50k fine for crush death.

(3)
Brian Rhodes
Mar 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

That's helpful feedback.  Thanks!

Andrew Bowman
Mar 13, 2018

Brian - Excellent article that touches on all of the highs (and lows) of installing access on vehicular gates. I believe a couple of the posts brought up concerns regarding the safety aspect of powered gates and I'd like to see your future update of this guide to include a synopsis of the UL 325 Entrapment standard. UL updated this standard in 2016 and basically breaks down installations into four different classes, which depend on type of operator used and the category of facility they protect. Conforming to this standard is mandated by most AHJs on residential installations, but is optional on commercial installations. However, it should not be "optional" given the litigious nature of our society. Any attorney with half a brain would use this national standard to prove negligence on the part of the installing company should property damage or personal injury result from a "bad" install. If you are going to install motorized gates, familiarize yourself with the safety requirements and design them into your installations...or else.

(1)
(2)
Brian Rhodes
Mar 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The applicability of UL325 will be added in a section above, thanks for bringing it up.

I agree with your statement that it is well advised that commercial installers abide designs by it due to litigation risk.  Moreover, getting injured because you are standing in the wrong spot or getting your fingers pinched off on rollers should not be a risk due to poor emplacement design regardless.

PD
Paresh Desai
Mar 25, 2018

Hi Brian,

We're looking into pedestrian gates to control access and flow.  Wondering if you have written about that.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

The topic deserves a good analysis.  Our formal post on turnstiles is out of date, and so I've queued it up for a substantial rework.

In terms of 'sizing' calc, here's a good formula from that Turnstiles Guide:

You have been asked to furnish a quote for the number of turnstiles at the front employee entrance to a manufacturing plant. Full height turnstiles will be installed at the main fence line separating the parking lot from the plant building. There are 2,000 employees arriving or leaving work during this change, and 15 minutes have been set aside for this exchange of workers. How many turnstiles should be quoted for this job?

Answer: The resulting calculation determines that 15 turnstiles are required to handle 2000 people in 15 minutes. A typical full-height turnstile is designed to accommodate 450 - 500 per hour. This is an average pass through rate of 9 people per turnstile, per minute. If 2000 people must flow through turnstiles during a shift change, consider the time to handle that volume is limited to 15 minutes.

(Total Number of People) / ((Flow through turnstile per min) * (Number of mins available)) = (Number of Turnstiles)

(2000 people) / ((9 people per minute) * (15 minutes)) = (14.8 turnstiles)

Since turnstiles are furnished in 'single' and 'double' sized units, including either one or two turnstiles, the furnishing a quote for 16 turnstile (or 8 doubles) is prudent. Consider oversizing the number of turnstiles for the occasion that a unit is out of service. 

PD
Paresh Desai
Mar 25, 2018

Turnstiles may not work for our situation.  Although, I do like the people counting feature.

Some of what we are looking at:

It would have to work with existing access control we have (Genetec).

CW
Craig Wilson
Mar 26, 2018

I ran into an interesting situation involving a parking garage the other day. This was a new construction last year, and they placed a loop at the card reader that would only allow the door to open if there was a vehicle (customer complains that they have problems with motorcycles and bikes). I have never seen a loop installed in that instance before and wondered how common that was now days. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions