Subscriber Discussion

Access Control Qt: Ideas For A Low Cost Way To Detect Proximity To Specific Vehicles?

BE
Brian Elias
Jan 19, 2018

I have a customer using a driveway entrance alert system that triggers an alert inside the building whenever a vehicle crosses a magnetic field sensor.  It's a simple system that can be enabled / disabled by relay control.

They have 4 specific vehicles (company owned) that should NOT trigger the alert when they pass over.  This is a low traffic entrance / low-security entrace so price is more important that eliminating all false-positives / false-negatives.  It should work most of the time (most company vehicles should be ignored, most non-company vehicles should be alerted).

I was thinking it would be straightforward to find or build a system that used a short-range RF transmitter in each vehicle for this - but after a few hours of searching I can't find anything for a reasonable price (< $500 or so).  Ideally, I'd like to mount simple ignition-powered transmitters in the vehicles, and a receiver close to the driveway sensor.  Whenever the transmitter was close by, the relay would open and remain open until no other active transmitters were detected.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this or what might be available?

Brian Rhodes
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

What does the distance look like between the vehicle and wherever the RF receiver is to be mounted?

I think this could be done with a long-range reader/token (ie: UHF or similar), but I'm not sure it would be inexpensive.  The 4 company trucks end up costing a bunch to exclude from normal alarms.

BE
Brian Elias
Jan 19, 2018

Distance between the vehicles and the RF receiver would be around 100 ft.  It would be OK if the RF receiver was "triggered" anywhere from 0 to 500 ft.

I agree...the cost is looking much higher than I originally guessed.

Brian Rhodes
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Do the drivers of those trucks carry push-to-talk 'walkie talkies' or company cell phones?

BE
Brian Elias
Jan 19, 2018

They don't have 2-way radios, but they do have cell phones.

Armando Perez
Jan 19, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

The cost is what the cost is. However, you could probably reduce the cost somewhat by putting a long range button activated credential in the vehicle and making it human activated instead of automatic.

Farpointe has some interesting long range stuff we are testing right now for a wireless lockdown situation that could be adapted as it is also a weatherproof receiver I believe.

Armando Perez
Jan 19, 2018
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

you could probably also use some sort of cloud activated relay and have them use an app to trigger it. 

something like this?

https://www.controlbyweb.com/webrelay/

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Does the installed driveway alert system have an I/O port or connector for 'accessories' on it?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Put a contact on the bar that breaks the circuit when door is unlocked.  

That part is super-kludgy, but after that it’s perfect!

Automatically locks/unlocks by employee (instead of vehicle assuming meets requirement), on proximity.

Full logging of locks/unlocks by employee.

$100 

Me, I would just take the cover off the thing and wire a relay to the inside.

BE
Brian Elias
Jan 19, 2018

Hmm...the web-relay idea might work.  I wonder if I could tie a geo-fence activation to it...?  Checking into this now...

The Farpointe equipment also looks great, but unfortunately it's going to be outside the price range for this project.  (Although I will check this out for an upcoming project where I was going to use Inovonics)...

Not entirely sure I see how the August lock works on this application though.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 19, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Not entirely sure I see how the August lock works on this application though.

It’s simple, you are just using the deadbolt as a switch to open or close the loop to the magnetic sensor.

Connect one side of the lead to the metal of the lock/bolt, the other to the metal “strike”.

When the driver’s cell phone gets near, the door automatically “unlocks”, which breaks the connection to the sensor, preventing the sensor from triggering the alert.  When the driver gets a little past the sensor, the door automatically “locks” again.

The advantages of this method:

1. No transmitters to buy

2. No programming a general purpose I/O switch 

3. Cheap and multiple suppliers, because it’s a mass produced item

4. Logging

BE
Brian Elias
Jan 19, 2018

Ahh...that makes sense!  Sorry, I wasn't putting together how the bar worked - I see now.  That's actually a really novel idea!

Not sure the range will be enough, but if it works it sure is cheap and easy...  Thanks!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions