Subscriber Discussion

Camera IR Illumination Causes Loss Of Certain VHF Channels - Why?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 29, 2017

As most technicians, I have some random equipment at my home, and use it for varying test scenarios and situations.

One of the cameras I have, is placed overlooking my backyard, off my garage.  

In the attic of my garage is my OTA TV antenna.  Now, I do stream most of my content, but there are a few things I still turn to OTA broadcast for.  One night, in some mode of experimentation, I found that the antenna (located about 6' above, and 10' away) lost coverage of certain channels when the camera went into night mode, and IR became enabled.  To verify, I logged into the camera, and switched back and forth, day to night mode, and watched my reception change as well.

IR and VHF are not close enough on the spectrum for my head to wrap around, so I am asking all of you, have you witnessed anything similar?  What am I experiencing?

Next test is going to be an IR illuminator by itself, and eliminate something else in the camera.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 29, 2017
IPVM

#1, thanks for your first comment. I am curious to hear what others think about this and what explanations they offer.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Cheap power components these days emit all sorts of hf waves.  My guess is that the added draw of the IR thru an inadequately shielded buck-down converter creates the interference.

Either in the power-supply and the onboard converters, or just the onboard if it’s POE.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions