Subscriber Discussion

Need Telephoto Lens For 110' Away, 20' Wide FoV - What To Use?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 06, 2017

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a camera to monitor a parking Lot gate entry. based on the closest mounting point, the camera has to be mounted 110 feet away from the gate. I'm looking to have the camera zoomed in for a tight shot of just the entrance (approx 20' wide). most cameras (non PTZ) that I find are up to 12mm, which doesn't quite cut it. Has anyone come across something similar? what have you used? Or, If you know of a good option that would work, that would be great too.

I know that I could search through the camera finder tool to get my answer but I figured that you guys would be able to provide better input for my real world application.

Thanks for your time.

Joseph Parker
Nov 06, 2017

Do you have any brand restrictions?

UI
Nov 06, 2017

I usually opt for hikvision, but being that this is a unique application I'm flexible.

Thanks Joseph.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 07, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Do you have any brand restrictions?

Not brand preferences even, but instead brand restrictions...

How politically correct of you :)

Brandon Knutson
Nov 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hanwha offers their newer X-series 2MP cameras with a 5.2 - 62.4mm (optical 12X) lens on a dome or bullet form factor. Good stuff. 

JH
John Honovich
Nov 06, 2017
IPVM

You are looking for a camera that supports at least a ~10° HFoV, e.g.:

The exact focal length will depend on the imager size, etc.

Here are 8 Hikvision cameras that match (from our Camera Finder). Also, here are 71 from other manufacturers.

Among those Hikvision models, the Hikvision DS-2CD4A24FWD-IZH supports the most telephoto FoV, with a max 94 mm focal length and a 3.1° minimum FoV. It also supports a 120m IR range, well beyond your required distance. Note: we have not tested it, this is just based on specifications.

Here is that Hikvision DS-2CD4A24FWD-IZH in our Calculator set to 110' away, 20' wide FoV for you to experiment/see.

(2)
UI
Nov 07, 2017

Thanks John!

That really helped. I still can't find any there that are more than 3mp (Except for the Acti one(I'm not quite fond of them))

Is there a reason why manufacturers don't make the long lenses on the higher mp cameras?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 07, 2017
IPVM

2MP is the 'sweet spot' right now for price / performance / etc. Over 2MP, zoom lenses get more limited and more expensive so I suspect that plays a role. 

It's certainly possible, e.g., there are 4K PTZs now, but it's likely a factor of the above and the fixed camera / long lens combos are a niche, so it is generally a lower overall priority in release.

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Nov 07, 2017

Also may want to consider a camera with electronic image stabilization since at long range there may be a lot of movement depending on how stable the mount is, wind, etc. I've had good luck with the axis cameras that have this feature. A lot of the standard axis fixed cameras typically max out around 12mm or so but they do offer several replacement lenses for specific applications that I've had good luck with

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Why not go “old school”:

Hik Outdoor enclosure

Hik 4k Box

Theia 4k 12-50mm varifocal

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions