Subscriber Discussion

Wednesday April 26 2017

Brian Karas
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

Amazon Fashion Cam report

ScanSource Favorability report

Call w/Funner in the AM about "Chinese attacking" post. She thought it was taken out of context, but didn't really have much of a rebuttal. Mostly she just gets frustrated with the Chinese association, she realizes it is a big barrier and is trying to do things to overcome it, distance themselves, etc. Not sure how successful it will be, but at least she recognizes the issue.

Found out that Avigilon has discontinued the Rialto, recommending the ES analytics appliance in its place. Not sure if that is worth a post or not, it is kind of minor unless you are a big Rialto user, in which case Avigilon hung you out to dry.

Setup CodeBlue call for tomorrow.

Working on other survey reports next.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

The Rialto discontinuation is worth a short post.

Is that a typo or do you call her 'Funner'? Btw, lol at her for not talking to me directly about an article that I wrote.

Brian Karas
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

Funner came from Bashis, that is how he kept referring to her in the email thread. Not sure if it was a typo/misunderstanding on his part, or a wordplay. Either way it kind of stuck.

Ethan Ace
Apr 27, 2017

The Rialto discontinuation is sad. It was the last trace of standalone VideoIQ left, right? I never liked the way Avigilon integrated their analytic setup into ACC. It never felt as solid as rules I setup through VIQ View before. And the Rialto was really finicky with how you had to add streams via ACC. How does the ES appliance compare in price to the Rialto?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

and the Rialto had real 3rd party support but the ES appliance does not?

Brian Karas
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

Yup. It is far from any kind of a direct swap/replacement.

Brian Karas
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

Yeah, the Rialto is the last bit of "pure" VideoIQ left in Avigilon, and I agree that the port of some stuff to ACC was never quite right.

The ACC ES appliance uses a different API, so any Rialto integrations break. At this point it is mostly larger customers (Florida Power&Light, Exxon/Mobil, etc.) that are buying Rialto's, but many of them have it integrated with Situator. Other customers are using the 4 relay outputs to integrate to other platforms (the ES appliance has only 2 outputs...)

A lot of customers are going to be impacted by this.

Ari Erenthal
Apr 27, 2017

Wrote alarm zone types post. Need to add links and images. Shouldn't take long. Will close out tomorrow AM. 

Emailed Hillenberg. He's been home sick, will get me the answers when he can. 

Re EZviz paying for reviews: I asked around, turns out a friend of a friend works at Amazon Corporate, in Seller Services. He's trying to find out who he could talk to that does review fraud investigations, wants us to talk "over the weekend". There is a non-zero chance that Hikvision can end up banned from Amazon entirely (although that isn't super likely, what will probably happen is that Hikvision will get heavily policed or possibly brandgated, which will screw everybody selling grey market Hikvision products with Chinese firmware). Will follow up with him Sunday. 

My babysitter flaked on me, I need to watch my youngest between 1:00 and 3:15 tomorrow. 

Will write arming modes tomorrow. 

Brian Rhodes
Apr 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Requiem for Rialto: A long time ago, a VideoIQ guy named Bob Carr visited me in Oklahoma all the way from Boston to intoduce Rialto to me.  At the time, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in surveillance.

Brian Karas
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM

I remember Bob.  I think he went to work for a larger distributor after VideoIQ, but I don't think I've heard from him in the last 5 or 6 years.

Ethan Ace
Apr 27, 2017

One point of VideoIQ history: I still have the original ICVR that Karas loaned me at CSi. They took it down from their demo enclosure that another guy and I put together and gave it to me for testing. It's in my desk, though I can't find the dome for it. I don't think they gave it to me.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Apr 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

at least you didn't sell it on a job!

Brian Rhodes
Apr 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Finished Xandem post - emailed Joey CEO wth link

Revised deck for Class 4 tomorrow - fixed crowded slides, added more on the Mercury compatibility element

Did video, pictures work for card copier post, write tomorrow afternoon

New Kevo arrived today, will unbox and install to see if there is a difference

Ethan Ace
Apr 27, 2017

Almost done with Milestone, did VMD testing tonight post fisheye. Notes are together, will wrap up tomorrow.

Fisheye testing with Scanlan and Rob.

Ordered Axis cameras for testing. 

Tomorrow will wrap both those up and get DW set up.

Early next week shoot that and Hikvision H.265 at night I think.

Rob Kilpatrick
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

Spent all day on the Hanwha test with Scanlan.

Shot the rest of the conference room.

Moved everything outside and shot that day/night.

Started working on images for the report.

John Scanlan
Apr 27, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

member support

*one noteworthy issue: set passwords for 23 members from canon in Japan (they can not receive our emails) then emailed credentials.  this is for the group that upgraded their account earlier this month.  I have all of the email addresses if need them for the email delivery issue.

finished the conf room shoot for the Pano test, and took the cameras outside for day and ir testing.  

helped with / was trained on vmd w/Ethan

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions