BLC Test

Ethan Ace
Jul 15, 2013

For this test, how would you like to proceed with it? Point a camera at a WDR scene for a couple of days and see what times of day, if any, it had the most effect, either negative or positive?

Ethan Ace
Jul 15, 2013

Also, camera choice? The CH120 has a BLC on/off checkbox. Avigilon lets you set it from -100 to +100. I think most are simple on/off.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 15, 2013
IPVM

first, let's document what a handful of major manufacturers do

and by document, i mean screenr, do a video walking through what settings are available on axis, avigilon, bosch, arecont, panasonic, sony, etc.

then do a basic test to see how big a difference each one makes, point the cameras out a window or something to see what happens

also i'd ask a few manufacturers to confirm how their BLC works (i.e., what technically happens when it is turned on, or set to x, etc.)

then as the final step, do real scenario tests - basically you have 3 times of day that are likely to see differences - even lighting, heavy sunlight and night time - for each of those toggle between the BLC settings (on/off, -100 -50,0,50,100, etc.). and compare how much better or worse it gets

let's make sure to have a subject stand in the bright and dark areas (for the well lit scenes)

at that point, we should have the fundamentals to make judgements on how well it works, when and with whose implementation

Ethan Ace
Dec 16, 2013

BUMP.

I think we should do this one soon. We have snow in the forecast so it would be a good idea to get some purely indoor tests in line.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 16, 2013
IPVM

ok, we should talk about testing process, i.e., how and what should we test

initial rough thoughts

- we need to see how settings impact performance throughout the day, i.e., adjusting BLC may make the video look excellent at 3pm but terrible at 8pm or 8am, etc.

- it would be good to see how it compares to WDR, i.e., WDR scene with BLC varied vs true WDR camera

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions