12 Cameras - Relocate And Recable For $792 - Who's In?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 31, 2017
IPVM

Ok, integrators - good deal or bad deal?

From Craigslist:

(1)
(7)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Dec 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Dang, why don't these type of jobs pop up in my area?

I would say good for the client and bad for the installer, but its probably going to be great for some trunk slammer and bad for the client because he is going to get a crap job...

It sounds like he got a craigslist special on the first 9 cameras that were mounted incorrectly, and he's now looking for round 2...

(7)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 31, 2017

I have a client like this. He sends me emails written like this all the time. Price starts out really low and then I help him understand how there’s no way we can do the install for that price and it wouldn’t even cover our cost of labor. I give him a real quote for the job. He sits on it for a few months than finally agrees. We’re about to start round four with this guy. I’m hoping it’s the last install we do for him. We will see. 

To answer your question. This is a bad deal. 

(4)
(3)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 31, 2017

Bad deal, I wouldn't touch it.  The fact that he wants the cameras re-cabled AND programmed, makes this a no-win.  I can, almost, guarantee that this is a multi-trip endeavor, and any potential profit will be chewed up in the first 2-15 days.  I'd be willing to bet that this customer will give the sign off and then call within the first 48 hours.   

(7)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 31, 2017

Interesting dilemma.  

I used to pay sub contractors a flat rate of $30.00 per wire run and device mount.  I paid an added amount to program a simple unit.

Has the rate for labor doubled in the last 20 or so years?  I doubt it. 

The difference I see is that I have them constant work and they knew what they were getting into.  Knew what was expected to get paid and knew they would get paid.

I could see a tech doing this on a weekend as a side job.  It’s above the dollar limit for a unlicensed handyman in California, so the risk is all in the tech if the guy doesn’t pay.  

(2)
David Delepine
Dec 31, 2017
Brivo • IPVMU Certified

Bad deal all the way if you are fully a licensed  and insured integration company running with w2 employees who have benefits, workers comp and branded company vehicles. However if you are a tech pulling a side job or a startup where the owner/owners are doing all or most of the work (like we used to be)... its still a bad deal but not horrible if you are hungry for work.

As stated by #2 this is likely a multiday project, unless there is a 2-3 person team of experienced and efficient techs onsite which most likely would end up costing more than what the client is offering (real cost of $25/hr employee is +/- $50/hr which is what we pay our journeymen so unless they can complete in less than 6-7 hours there is a minimal to a negative profit on this project).

Even for a solo tech side job this will end costing him so much in gas, small materials and time that he/she would have likely earned more by flipping burgers at minimum wage. 

SK
Sean Kelly
Dec 31, 2017
360 Technologies Inc.

What a joke! Any professional security integration company that would even consider this for even 3 times the price should retire from the business and get a job in any other field! How can you provide this scope of work in a professional manner and warranty your work for anywhere near that price is ridiculous and completely laughable! The person who posted this ad is either completely out of touch with reality or has no idea of what professional entails!

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 01, 2018
IPVM

Sean, thanks for the first comment! I do agree that professional integrators will run from this. However, I bet there are some 'handymen' or a guy who says "i've installed a camera once or twice before" who will be willing to take it. How will the end user force them to complete the job? I guess he can simply refuse to pay until he finds the job satisfactory but it strikes me as a high probability mess for both sides.

U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Something tells me that as bad as it seems, it’s not even as good as that!

I’m guessing that the job is not very defined.  Sure, he thinks he cameras are misplaced, but does he really know where there should go?  Was he involved in the original decisions?  Why not haul that guy back in to redo them?

I would say double his offer and demand to see the plans ahead of time.

Also, fwiw Jefferson Park is a bit of a sketchy neighborhood, so caveat venditor...

Michael Silva
Jan 01, 2018
Silva Consultants

I always find it interesting when customers don't have the skills to do a project themselves, but do think they have the ability to determine how long it should take and what it should cost. (if it's any consolation, this happens in consulting too...)

As others have said, I would run (not walk) away from this "opportunity".

(9)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 01, 2018
IPVM

when customers don't have the skills to do a project themselves, but do think they have the ability to determine how long it should take and what it should cost.

To play devil's advocate, it's possible that the person thinks that he could do it himself (seeing how he confidently describes it) but finds himself above doing that 'type' of work.

That said, I do agree that this is not a good opportunity but I do suspect, in the user's mind (unfairly or not), s/he sees this as easy stuff and the price accordingly is fair. If so, the challenge is how do you convince someone who knows they are right that they are wrong and have overlooked some complexities.

Michael Silva
Jan 01, 2018
Silva Consultants

You are probably right about that. However, my success rate in trying to convince a client of this type to pay more is about 0%. Perhaps its a personal limitation of mine; maybe someone else could do better. 

Even if you are able to get a little more money, I suspect that this type of client would still make you regret taking on the job in the first place. 

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 01, 2018
IPVMU Certified

However, my success rate in trying to convince a client of this type to pay more is about 0%.

But if you’re patient and kind, while making a thoroughly compelling case as to how this ultimately benefits them, then they might be more receptive to the next guy ;)

U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 01, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Even the low-ballers over at Amazon want $90/camera, (this quote is for 8)

(1)
Fabian Muyawa
Jan 01, 2018
LONTECH SYSTEMS • IPVMU Certified

The baseline data provided might require to be re checked by an integrator or installer before start. I would like to advise who ever is going to takeup this task to re-survey and determine the actual scope of work and then re calculate the actual cost. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 01, 2018

I'm not really sure that professional installers are combing thru Craigslist for work... if they are, then they may actually need to take the job.  Either way, that is one reason we stay away from residential work.  Everyone thinks its easy and should be cheap labor.  Heck, even housekeepers make $25 an hour these days!

(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Jan 03, 2018

Hilariously bad.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions