Subscriber Discussion

Video Platforms That You Can "Lock Or Tag" Video To Keep From Being Deleted

SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I ran in to a situation this week whereby if you don't pay for the Milestone Corporate edition you can't "Lock or Tag" video from deletion unless you are on their Corporate edition software. This feature is called Evidence Locker. Now Evidence Locker has some cool features but if I just need to keep some video from being deleted for a couple of weeks while an investigation is going on then you really shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for something as simple as this. Also you can't even add this feature as an option to any of the other models.

So in the comments shout out other brands that do allow this as part of the base system. Either a simple appliance or all the way up to an enterprise type system. 

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 09, 2019

We utilize Genetec Security Center and it has the ability to protect video from deletion.

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

We "bookmark" video clips in OnSSI Ocularis to preserve that clip for possible export at a future time.

(2)
(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Milestone does that as well but if the recording server starts running out of space, bookmark or not, the video will be deleted. 

Brandon Knutson
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Got it. The way we have our system set-up that wont happen as our bookmarked video goes on a server that it not a recording server.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

So then in the system you setup the bookmarks to automatically get transferred from the recording server to a separate storage medium then? 

Brandon Knutson
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

A standalone copy of the video that is bookmarked is saved on the OnSSI "Base" server, by default. In our case the Base server is not a recording server so storage variables will not be an issue.  

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2019

My Onssi gripe is this. Let's say you have a 95 cameras in one facility, 1 Base/Event Proxy Server, 1 DM/Recorder with 2 Nas Storage on the network and you want to have specific cameras record to NAS 1 and the remainder of the cameras record onto NAS 2. Onssi(Seetec) distributes all cameras into available ZONES visible by the DM. The ZONE is the available storage space added to the DM. This to me is the most annoying storage set up, at least in Oracle Solaris you can migrate Zones on shared storage. In Seetec you can try copying and pasting folder however I would imagine that would break the book marks over on the base. I hope for but doubt Qognify will have interest in cleaning this up.

Brandon Knutson
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

I've never had to address that type of system layout, but I guess you'd have to run 2 DM/Recorders to have specific cameras record to a specific NAS.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2019

Yep, you have to run 2 DMs, PITA!

Dwayne Cooney
Jan 09, 2019

Shannon is right, with Milestone Bookmarking, the data will be deleted on a FIFO basis but Evidence Lock protects the data completely. It can only be deleted with sufficient user rights unless the evidence lock is set to expire.

SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

My big gripe is I shouldn't have to pay to have video locked if you are on a version other than their free version. Simply just a database setting.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2019

Agree, Especially if you already paid ip licenses, ssa and services to record the video in the first place.

Customer: So I can record my cameras...but have to individually go in an separately archive my video to another media?

Integrator: No, I can upsell you a version that allows you to tag a specific video timeline(recording lol) and then when you prefer you can come back and delete it yourself. The tag is implemented onto your recorded video! It is cutting edge technology.

BS
Brian Sampson
Jan 09, 2019

I’m an Exacq employee. Bookmarking is available in exacqVision Professional. 

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

That I did know as we sell Exacq as well. In the Enterprise version then you can do even more with the bookmarks. I get with say the Start version you can't as that is an entry level system. Same should be true with Milestone. If you install their 8 camera free system then no I don't expect to be able to keep video from being deleted.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2019

Fun fact but true, Ubiquiti's Unifi NVR has the ability to lock video to prevent deletion. Seems like this should be a common feature.

(1)
(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

As I said out loud earlier this week:

I AM GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF MANUFACTURERS NICKLE AND DIMING ME FOR EVERY LITTLE FEATURE IN A SYSTEM.!!!

(1)
(1)
Dwayne Cooney
Jan 09, 2019

With Milestone, your option for long term storage in most versions other than XProtect Corporate are to simply to archive.

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

They are archiving but when you have well over 300 cameras, and many with high resolution, storage starts becoming very costly.

Dwayne Cooney
Jan 09, 2019

Only 300? :) I have many more but only evidence lock specific incidents for evidentiary reasons.

I thought you were looking for an evidence lock feature, not to prevent recording over all of your cameras.

It sounds like you need more primary storage and a written retention policy or if you need to save recordings for a large amount of cameras you should consider archiving, conditioning, etc.

SD
Shannon Davis
Jan 10, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Sure you can do all that and they do but I, THEY, shouldn’t have to pay to lock video from being deleted.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jan 09, 2019

Avigilon has "bookmarking" and you can protect bookmarks from being deleted.   

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions