With megapixel now mainstream, surveillance systems need to deal with unprecedented loads of live video display and recorded storage. One emerging technique for VMSes to handle this is using multistreaming.
Three main benefits exist:
- Reducing load on viewing PC
- Reducing demand on low bandwidth connections
- Reducing storage consumption for long term archiving
However, VMS manufacturer's implementation of multistreaming varies significantly. In our study, we have found 7 main differentiators:
- Automatic switchover of streams
- Manual override / selection of streams
- Display of stream selected / details
- Cameras supported for multistreaming
- Total streams supported
- Digital zoom with multistreaming
- Multi-stage archiving support
We evaluated Avigilon, Exacq, Genetec, Milestone, Network Optix and Video Insight to appreciate those differences and understand competitive positioning.