Maps are used for situational awareness, but what is that exactly? What features do they have and how do VMSes differ in what they offer?
In this report, we share our test results of reviewing the map features for Milestone, Genetec, Avigilon, Exacq, AxxonSoft, and Network Optix/Digital Watcdog.
Maps research revealed a number of important differentiators that separated the 'best' from the 'worst' in VMS map features, including:
- Map Types: There are 3 Map types. Which is more powerful, easier to use and/or configure?
- Map Interaction: Which actions can you actually perform with maps? open doors? playback video? view live video? It is so much more than just viewing cameras.
- Layout Precision: How correct is that map representation?
- Map Alerts: what type of notifications exists and how effective are they?
- Suspect Tracking: Is it possible to use the cameras to track a suspect- visually - from view to view with use of maps? Response time would be greatly improved.
- Cost/Installation: Are these features included or are there hidden charges? We uncover the details.