Videofied offers a video based intrusion detection solution that possesses distinct advantages and drawbacks compared to traditional video surveillance product offerings.
The Videofied solution consists of 2 fundamental components:
- A panel that communicates with sensors on-site using 900 MHz and a central station using a GPRS modem. The panel is battery powered and specified to operate up to 4 years on 1 set of batteries. The MSRP of a commercial panel is approximately $750 USD.
- Video sensors, called MotionViewers that run on batteries (specified up to 2 years) and communicate with a panel on-site. Using a PIR detector, alerts trigger an on-board camera. The outdoor model specifies a black white camera with 320 x 340 resolution and an 85 degree FOV. Motion detection is specified up to a 12m/40ft wide FOV. Outdoor models have an MSRP of approximately $600 USD. MotionViewers can be placed up to 2000 ft from the panel. One panel/modem can support up to 24 MotionViewers.
Videofied reports integration with Dice, MAS, Bold, Immix, SAS, Sureview monitoring software. Detection is optimized primarily for specific choke points or assets rather than long fence lines (given the width of area detected).
The main advantages of this approach include:
- Built-in video verification of alerts
- No wires for power nor communication, simplifying setup and deployment
- Integration with leading central station software simplifies monitoring
Relative to traditional video surveillance offerings, there are a few somewhat unique deficiencies:
- Video analytic sensors can often coverage much wider and longer areas (such as 100-200ft fencelines)
- Surveillance cameras can provide higher resolution, color images and probably higher quality night time images (see examples of Videofied's video quality)
- Videofied does not stream video on-demand. The only time video is captured and streamed is when an event is detected
To compensate for these issues, Videofied is advocating what they call "blended video", essentially combining Videofied's solution with megapixel / PTZ cameras (see powerpoint deck overviewing the approach
). The Videofied system provides detection and immediate visual verification. However, the megapixel / PTZ cameras provide ongoing recording and higher quality video images for tracking suspects and identifying details of intruders.
Related Reports on Intrusion
Alarm.com Business Market Expansion
on Apr 13, 2018
Alarm.com has millions of subscribers, but the company has traditionally been mostly a residential/home focused offering. ADC's new Smart Business...
70+ New Products Directory Spring 2018
on Apr 02, 2018
We have compiled a list of new products for Spring 2018 in the categories:
Fire and Intrusion
Axis Z-Wave IP Camera Tested Poorly
on Mar 20, 2018
Z-Wave is drawing notable interest for video surveillance use. In IPVM's initial coverage, 84% expressed interest in it, with nearly half being...
Simplisafe 'All New' Generation 3 Tested
on Feb 08, 2018
Feared by the traditional alarm industry, Simplisafe has launched its 'all new' Generation 3 platform that they declare is "Stronger. Faster....
Nest Secure Alarm System Tested
on Nov 16, 2017
Google's expansion continues, this time into home security with their Nest subsidiary's move into alarm systems.
They paid more than a...
Most Recent Industry Reports
'Best In Show' Fails
on Apr 19, 2018
ISC West's "Best In Show" has failed.
For more than a decade, it has become increasingly irrelevant as the selections exhibit a cartoon level...
Worst Access Control 2018
on Apr 18, 2018
Three access control providers stood out as providing the most problems for integrators.
In this report, we analyze the answers to:
Axis VMD4 Analytics Tested
on Apr 17, 2018
Axis is now on its 4th generation of video motion detection (VMD), which Axis calls "a free video analytics application." In this generation, Axis...
Arecont CEO And President Resign
on Apr 17, 2018
This is good news for Arecont.
Arecont's problems have been well known for years (e.g., most recently Worst Camera Manufacturers 2018 and starting...
Key Control For Access Control Tutorial
on Apr 16, 2018
End users spend thousands on advanced systems to keep themselves secure, but regularly neglect one of the lest expensive yet most important aspects...
Best and Worst ISC West 2018
on Apr 16, 2018
ISC West 2018 had strong attendance, modest overall new products, and a surge in Artificial Intelligence marketing.
First, here are 20+...