Videofied offers a video based intrusion detection solution that possesses distinct advantages and drawbacks compared to traditional video surveillance product offerings.
The Videofied solution consists of 2 fundamental components:
- A panel that communicates with sensors on-site using 900 MHz and a central station using a GPRS modem. The panel is battery powered and specified to operate up to 4 years on 1 set of batteries. The MSRP of a commercial panel is approximately $750 USD.
- Video sensors, called MotionViewers that run on batteries (specified up to 2 years) and communicate with a panel on-site. Using a PIR detector, alerts trigger an on-board camera. The outdoor model specifies a black white camera with 320 x 340 resolution and an 85 degree FOV. Motion detection is specified up to a 12m/40ft wide FOV. Outdoor models have an MSRP of approximately $600 USD. MotionViewers can be placed up to 2000 ft from the panel. One panel/modem can support up to 24 MotionViewers.
Videofied reports integration with Dice, MAS, Bold, Immix, SAS, Sureview monitoring software. Detection is optimized primarily for specific choke points or assets rather than long fence lines (given the width of area detected).
The main advantages of this approach include:
- Built-in video verification of alerts
- No wires for power nor communication, simplifying setup and deployment
- Integration with leading central station software simplifies monitoring
Relative to traditional video surveillance offerings, there are a few somewhat unique deficiencies:
- Video analytic sensors can often coverage much wider and longer areas (such as 100-200ft fencelines)
- Surveillance cameras can provide higher resolution, color images and probably higher quality night time images (see examples of Videofied's video quality)
- Videofied does not stream video on-demand. The only time video is captured and streamed is when an event is detected
To compensate for these issues, Videofied is advocating what they call "blended video", essentially combining Videofied's solution with megapixel / PTZ cameras (see powerpoint deck overviewing the approach
). The Videofied system provides detection and immediate visual verification. However, the megapixel / PTZ cameras provide ongoing recording and higher quality video images for tracking suspects and identifying details of intruders.
Related Reports on Intrusion
Hikvision DeepinMind 2019 Test
on Jun 06, 2019
In 2018, Hikvision's DeepinMind AI NVR performed terribly, recognizing vehicles, animals, and other objects as humans, misclassifying demographics,...
Vidsys New President Interviewed
on May 31, 2019
A decade ago, PSIM was hot with projections then of a billion dollar market by now. This has not come close to happening. However, Vidsys, one of...
IndigoVision Control Center VMS Tested
on May 30, 2019
IPVM's last test of IndigoVision's VMS was in 2010, which found enterprise VMS features and a simple client interface. but no 3rd party camera...
Nortek Security CEO Out, Company Pivoting
on May 28, 2019
Nortek Security's CEO, Michael O'Neal is out, after 8 years leading the company, in what Nortek described to IPVM as them having 'pivoted strongly...
Bastille Cell Phone Tracking Profile
on Apr 30, 2019
Is tracking someone by their cellphone the next generation of surveillance?
Bastille is a US startup which tracks people by their cellphone or...
Most Recent Industry Reports
Hikvision Colorvu Camera Tested
on Jun 24, 2019
Hikvision says their new ColorVu line captures "vivid chromatic images in darkness", with unconventional white light illuminations whereas most...
HID Mobile Tested
on Jun 21, 2019
HID Global is one of the largest access brands, but their mobile access has had challenges. Indeed, the company has already restructured their...
Genetec Beats Milestone For IHS #1
on Jun 21, 2019
For years, Milestone has touted that they are the #1 VMS. Now, Genetec has beaten them in IHS rankings. But what is this? Even other manufacturers...
Exacq Remote Cloud Access Tested
on Jun 20, 2019
Remote cloud access has been missing from most VMSes (including Exacq and Milestone). Now, Exacq, after releasing Cloud Drive Storage earlier in...
Briefcam Buys Frost Award*
on Jun 20, 2019
Frost 'awards' are well-known and widely disrespected. Now Briefcam is touting their win.
The way it has worked for many years is that Frost...