Almost all security alarms are false. This has driven some municipalities to require verified response before dispatching police.
However, now San Jose, with a population of more than 1 million people and in the middle of Silicon Valley has discontinued the practice after an increase in crime. San Jose enacted the restrictive policy in December of 2011.
Inside this note, based on our outreach to The San Jose Police Department, and talk with SIAC (Security Industry Alarm Coalition) we look at the following topics:
- False alarms and Verified Response
- Why San Jose had it and why they dropped it
- Despite the cost
- Who else has dropped it?
- Are any looking to institute it?
- Industry stance on Verified Response?
- SIAC supports under certain circumstances
- Alternative to Verified Response
- Outlook for Verified Response