Theia has announced a new addition to their ultawide angle lens lineup - the SL183. This note examines its positioning and differences from Theia's existing lenses.
- The SL183 is Theia's first varifocal lens offering a focal length of 1.8 to 3.0 mm providing a Horizontal FoV of approximately 85-110 degrees (depending on imager size of camera). The varifocal capability allows for optimizing the specific field of view for customer's preferences.
- The lens is designed to stay in focus even if you change the magnification/zoom. They are referring to this as Truezoom (and is similar to SLR zoom lens functionality). The lens is not motorized and cannot be controlled remotely by the camera.
- The lens is moderately shorter than other Theia lenses (50mm vs 56mm or 59mm for other Theia lenses). Theia reports that this will allow the lens to better fit in some dome housings.
- The SL183 is rated for 5MP resolution.
- The SL183 is positioned as a complement to to their existing lenses. While those lenses provide wider FoV, this lens provides varifocal capability and a smaller form factor.
- The MSRP of the SL183 is $299. The SY110 has an MSRP of $248 (similar max focal length but fixed focal length). The SY125 has an MSRP of $440 (widest FoV offered).
For more information on Theia, review our test results on their widest lens - the SY125M.
Related Reports on Lenses
Camera Form Factor Guide
on Mar 16, 2018
When selecting surveillance cameras, users may choose from a number of different form factors, each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses,...
Dahua 4K IR PTZ Tested
on Aug 21, 2017
4K has made its way to IR PTZs. In this report, we examine the Dahua 6AE830VNI, a 4K PTZ with 30x optical zoom, 200m (~650') integrated IR, and...
IP Camera Specification / RFP Guide 2017
on Aug 14, 2017
RFPs are hard.
Do them 'right' and it takes a lot of knowledge and time.
Do them 'wrong' and you can be (a) unwittingly locked into a specific...
Varifocal Vs Fixed Lens Statistics 2017
on May 04, 2017
Varifocal camera lenses provide more flexibility at installation time, but come at a higher cost. Fixed lens cameras reduce hardware costs, but can...
Hikvision PanoVu Multi Imager Tested
on Feb 08, 2017
Hikvision has entered the multi-imager market with their 180° PanoVu DS-2CD6986F-H, an 8MP, 4-imager model equipped with ~1/1.8" imagers and...
Avigilon Pro 4K Camera Tested
on Jan 03, 2017
Avigilon is best known for their large sensor, high megapixel cameras. But with new offerings from Sony and soon Axis, the questions is how well...
Lens Iris Tutorial
on Dec 19, 2016
Cameras, like humans, have irises. However, cameras have five types of iris options - fixed, manual, auto, P iris. In this tutorial, we explain the...
Most Recent Industry Reports
Digifort VMS Profile
on Apr 25, 2018
Digifort, a Brazilian company, has a strong presense in their home country. In a crowded and mature Enterprise VMS market, will they be able to...
Death Of A Dummy Camera Manufacturer
on Apr 25, 2018
5 years ago, IPVM gathered insights from a dummy camera manufacturer, who was then the top selling dummy camera provider on Amazon and 3rd in all...
DMP Adds Ring Video Doorbell Integration
on Apr 24, 2018
Video doorbells have become one of the hottest items for security systems. After several years with no doorbell, DMP has announced integration with...
Milestone 2017 Financials Examined
on Apr 24, 2018
For ISC West 2018, Milestone released ... their financials, touting "strong revenue growth in 2017". However, there were discrepancies with the...