Theia has announced a new addition to their ultawide angle lens lineup - the SL183. This note examines its positioning and differences from Theia's existing lenses.
- The SL183 is Theia's first varifocal lens offering a focal length of 1.8 to 3.0 mm providing a Horizontal FoV of approximately 85-110 degrees (depending on imager size of camera). The varifocal capability allows for optimizing the specific field of view for customer's preferences.
- The lens is designed to stay in focus even if you change the magnification/zoom. They are referring to this as Truezoom (and is similar to SLR zoom lens functionality). The lens is not motorized and cannot be controlled remotely by the camera.
- The lens is moderately shorter than other Theia lenses (50mm vs 56mm or 59mm for other Theia lenses). Theia reports that this will allow the lens to better fit in some dome housings.
- The SL183 is rated for 5MP resolution.
- The SL183 is positioned as a complement to to their existing lenses. While those lenses provide wider FoV, this lens provides varifocal capability and a smaller form factor.
- The MSRP of the SL183 is $299. The SY110 has an MSRP of $248 (similar max focal length but fixed focal length). The SY125 has an MSRP of $440 (widest FoV offered).
For more information on Theia, review our test results on their widest lens - the SY125M.
Related Reports on Lenses
Installing Box Cameras Indoors Tutorial
on May 22, 2018
This tutorial starts our physical installation for video surveillance series, starting with Box Cameras, one of the oldest and most basic types....
Camera Form Factor Guide
on Mar 16, 2018
When selecting surveillance cameras, users may choose from a number of different form factors, each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses,...
Dahua 4K IR PTZ Tested
on Aug 21, 2017
4K has made its way to IR PTZs. In this report, we examine the Dahua 6AE830VNI, a 4K PTZ with 30x optical zoom, 200m (~650') integrated IR, and...
IP Camera Specification / RFP Guide 2017
on Aug 14, 2017
RFPs are hard.
Do them 'right' and it takes a lot of knowledge and time.
Do them 'wrong' and you can be (a) unwittingly locked into a specific...
Varifocal Vs Fixed Lens Statistics 2017
on May 04, 2017
Varifocal camera lenses provide more flexibility at installation time, but come at a higher cost. Fixed lens cameras reduce hardware costs, but can...
Most Recent Industry Reports
Directory of Video Surveillance Startups
on Jul 18, 2018
This directory provides a list of video surveillance startups to help you see and research what companies are new or not yet broadly known entity...
on Jul 17, 2018
FST was one of the hottest startups of the decade, selected as the best new product at ISC West 2011 and backed with tens of millions in...
Axis ~$100 Camera Tested
on Jul 17, 2018
Axis has released their lowest cost camera ever, the Companion Eye Mini L, setting their sights on a market dominated by Hikvision and Dahua. Can...
Amazon Ring Alarm System Tested
on Jul 16, 2018
Amazon Ring is going to hurt traditional dealers, and especially ADT, new IPVM test results of Ring's Alarm system underscore.
IPVM found that...
Installing Dome Cameras Indoors Guide
on Jul 16, 2018
IPVM is producing the definitive series on installing surveillance cameras. This entry covers one of the most common scenarios - installing dome...