PTZ surveillance cameras remain a key tool for surveillance operators, routinely the cornerstone of large security operations that are watching broad areas. It is important to appreciate the key elements in selecting and using PTZ cameras.
Inside the premium section, we provide a 23 minute video that explains and demonstrates the basics of PTZs.
Inside the video screencast, we answer the following questions:
- What is the difference between panning, tilting and zooming?
- What is the limit in ranges for zooming?
- Why is zoom ratios (e.g., 10x, 30x) misleading?
- What alternative metric should you use for measuring zoom coverage?
- What is the practical difference between a 10x and 40x optical zoom?
- What is the difference between a digital and optical zoom?
- Which type of zoom is 'truer' and why?
- How do PTZs vary in pan range supported?
- What is a major limitation in some PTZs pan ranges?
- How does pan range limitations impact security monitoring?
- What resolutions are available for PTZs?
- What limits are common for megapixel PTZs?
- What is a preset?
- Why are presets valuable?
- What is a tour?
- When should tours be used?
- What is the best applications of PTZ cameras?
- What is the value of using keyboard or controllers?
- What PTZ protocol issues are common for IP cameras?
- How does support vary for IP vs analog PTZs?
- What is the tradeoffs when considering megapixel vs PTZs?
This video screencast is designed for those looking at the basics. More advanced users should review our test results on PTZs including:
Related Reports on PTZs
Last Chance - October 2018 Camera Course
on Oct 04, 2018
Today is the last day to register for the October 2018 Camera Course, register now.
This is the only independent surveillance camera course,...
Axis First IR PTZ Tested (Q6125-LE)
on Aug 21, 2018
Axis is very late in releasing IR PTZs. While competitors such as Hikvision and Dahua have offered them for years, Axis has just released their...
Axis Launches Mini Concealed IR PTZ
on Apr 11, 2018
Axis has been a laggard in releasing IR PTZs. While the company released a laser focus PTZ (the Q6155-E tested) until now Axis has had no PTZs with...
Axis Z-Wave IP Camera Tested Poorly
on Mar 20, 2018
Z-Wave is drawing notable interest for video surveillance use. In IPVM's initial coverage, 84% expressed interest in it, with nearly half being...
Camera Form Factor Guide
on Mar 16, 2018
When selecting surveillance cameras, users may choose from a number of different form factors, each with its own unique strengths and weaknesses,...
Dahua 4K IR PTZ Tested
on Aug 21, 2017
4K has made its way to IR PTZs. In this report, we examine the Dahua 6AE830VNI, a 4K PTZ with 30x optical zoom, 200m (~650') integrated IR, and...
Axis Laser Focus PTZ Tested (Q6155-E)
on Aug 14, 2017
Axis has been touting its new Q6155-E laser focus PTZ as 'always in focus' and 'always in color'.
Does it really deliver?
We bought and tested...
IP Camera Specification / RFP Guide 2017
on Aug 14, 2017
RFPs are hard.
Do them 'right' and it takes a lot of knowledge and time.
Do them 'wrong' and you can be (a) unwittingly locked into a specific...
Most Recent Industry Reports
Axis: "No One Wants To Buy A Camera"
on Nov 09, 2018
Axis has, in its own description, made a bold declaration:
The industry is changing so rapidly that the following statement might seem bold but...
Axis 2N Intercom Tested
on Nov 08, 2018
Axis expanded its video intercom business buying Czech-based 2N in 2016. Despite competing against owner Axis' intercoms, 2N recently registered as...
Kogniz Silicon Valley AI Startup Profile
on Nov 07, 2018
Kogniz is a Silicon Valley company that aims to bring AI analytics to security and surveillance, centering on their own smart cameras:
Directory Of Video Doorbells
on Nov 06, 2018
Video doorbells are one of the fastest growing categories in video surveillance, especially among residences. The optimal placement of these...
Avigilon Opens Up Analytics And Cameras
on Nov 06, 2018
Avigilon is opening up.
The company historically famous for advocating its own end-to-end solutions and making it harder for 3rd parties to...