Training: Basics for Using Video SurveillanceBy: John Honovich, Published on May 14, 2010
This report, including a 2 hour podcast inside, is designed to help those new to video surveillance learn the basics of using, selecting and justifying the purchase of video surveillance. Most importantly, we talk about real world limitations and issues that are regularly overlooked.
This podcast serves as the intro to our overall 10 part video surveillance training series.
Included Topics in the 2 hour Podcast
Key issues discussed include:
- What are the approaches to viewing live surveillance video?
- What are the major issues hindering live video monitoring?
- What are the benefits and limits of automated alerting?
- What are the most common types of investigations?
- How many cameras are used?
- What types of cameras are used?
- Where are cameras deployed?
- What are the key privacy issues impacting surveillance use?
- What types of use are unrealistic or science fiction?
- What types of products are used?
- What is motivating the move from analog to IP?
- How reliable are video surveillance systems?
- What type of maintenance is used?
- What does video surveillance cost?
- What is the value of video surveillance?
- Can you really prove ROI for video surveillance systems?
For Those New to Video Surveillance
Before you think about products, you should understand how video surveillance is generally used. In the podcast, we review:
- Different approaches to live surveillance monitoring
- Types of alarm monitoring
- Examples of conducting investigations
- Common number of cameras being used
- Common locations and types of cameras being used
- Privacy issues in using video surveillance
- Unrealistic or science fiction approaches to video surveillance
If you only listen to one of the 3 segments, this is the one we most recommend. The 52 minute podcast can be listened to or watched below:
- Basics Uses of Video Surveillance Podcast (52 Minutes)
Product Use Basics for Video Surveillance
In the podcast below, we discuss the basic issues in selecting video surveillance products including the main types of products used, the difference between IP and analog, reliability and maintenance of video surveillance products:
- Video Surveillance Products Basics Podcast (42 Minutes)
The end of the podcast may be the most interesting as we discuss the lack of redundancy and maintenance issues that are common in surveillance.
The next step after the product basics podcast is reading the 'How to Design Video Surveillance' report.
Cost and Value/ROI Basics for Video Surveillance
In the podcast below, we discuss estimated prices for basic video surveillance components as well as installation and maintenance. We then explore how users justify the value and ROI for purchasing video surveillance:
1 report cite this report:
Related Reports on Monitoring
Most Recent Industry Reports
The world's leading video surveillance information source, IPVM provides the best reporting, testing and training for 10,000+ members globally. Dedicated to independent and objective information, we uniquely refuse any and all advertisements, sponsorship and consulting from manufacturers.