Copying 125kHz cards is certainly easy, as our test results showed, but how about 13.56MHz smart cards? Are they more secure?
IPVM focused on the risk of Hacking Your Access Control With This $30 HID 125kHz Card Copier, but are more advanced 13.56 MHz 'smartcard' formats more secure?
We bought a smart card cloner, the unit shipped to us shown below:
The seller is undoubtedly polite, but would it work?
We tested the following card formats:
- HID iClass Legacy and iClass SE (13.56 MHz)
- MIFARE Classic 1K (13.56 MHz)
- MIFARE DESFire EV1 (13.56 MHz)
- HID ProxII and ISOProx (125 kHz)
- Kantech XSF (125 kHz)
- EM 4100 Generic Format (125 kHz)
Full results, videos and analysis inside.