Reviewing Archerfish Home/SMB ApplianceBy John Honovich, Published on Sep 11, 2009
A review of Cernium's home/SMB appliance [link no longer available], called Archerfish, provides some key points of consideration in evaluating the offering including issues with analytic accuracy.
- The reviewer found the system easy to setup
- The system emails alert videos
- The reviewer found the video quality good but not so good as to see distant details
- The system was able to distinguish between people and vehicles
- The system has a DVR option through connecting an USB drive
- The reviewer found the detection system to be 'hit or miss' with many false alerts for vehicles in the driveway
- Remote viewing of video requires opening a port in a firewall
The DVR option is interesting and I would think making it standard through the use of embedded flash drive would be an ideal way to significantly increase the product's value.
Finally, the review does not cite the product's price but a previous interview states that the price starts at $1495 USD for a 4 channel system with 2 cameras.
[Update: Our Archerfish test results show disappointing performance. In 2012, Cernium began to shift away from Archerfish.]