Security Sales magazine recently released a very useful survey of US security integrators. It's 6 pages long and has dozens of metrics. Here are a few that are particularly relevant or interesting to video surveillance professionals:
- Security integrators are small: average size is only 30 employees
- Security integrators are poor: service and installation technicians make less than $50,000 USD annual
- Security integrators are happy: 54% are very satisfied with their job
- Median annual revenue is only $3 Million USD for security integrators
- 34% have laid off employees in the last year due to the recession
- Gross profit margins on video surveillance projects are 32-34% though this dropped 6% from the previous years
- Average numbers of cameras per installation is 17
- Average price per video surveillance job is $19,930
This reflects the well known reality of the security industry: it is fractured amongst many small players who do not make huge money. What this survey likely does not factor in is the entrance of IT integrators who have the potential to shift the profile of the industry. However, while IT integrators are certainly moving in, that transition seems to be fairly slow and not the 'tidal wave' that many predicted over the last years.
Top 2019 Trend - AI Video Analytics
on Dec 10, 2018
160+ Integrators answered:
What do you think the top industry trend will be in 2019? Why?
AI / video analytics was the run-away winner with...
ADT Promotes DIFY - "Do It For You"
on Nov 30, 2018
"Do It Yourself" (DIY) is a popular expression and has become such a common word that it has even made the Cambridge English dictionary.
Strong Outlook For 2019
on Nov 29, 2018
Integrators are bullish for 2019, with nearly 80% showing a positive outlook in our integrator results from 160+ respondents:
This is almost...
HID Product Configurator Examined
on Nov 26, 2018
HID is widely used. However, figuring out all the different configurations of features for a final credential or reader part number can be a real...
ISC East 2018 Mini-Show Final Report
on Nov 16, 2018
This is our second (updated) and final show report from ISC East.
ISC East, by its own admission, is not a national or international show, billed...
Magos Radar Company Profile
on Nov 12, 2018
Magos America General Manager Yaron Zussman admits when he first came across Magos, he asked himself: "What's innovative about radar?" Be that as...
Most Recent Industry Reports
2019 Access Control Book Released
on Dec 12, 2018
This is the best, most comprehensive access control book in the world, based on our unprecedented research and testing has been significantly...