In this guide, we explain the fundamentals of network cabling for video surveillance networks, how they should be installed, and the differences in testing them for production networks.
Specifically, we examine:
- Network Cabling Defined
- Network Cable Construction
- Category Ratings
- Most Surveillance Cables Cat 5e/6
- Cat 7 And 8
- Shielded Twisted Pair Vs. Unshielded Twisted Pair
- Where Should STP Be Used?
- Solid Copper Vs. Copper Clad Aluminum
- Cable Ratings: Plenum Vs. Riser Vs. General
- Installation Standards
- Cable Testing Basics
- What Cable Tester Should Integrators Use?
- Cable Installation Best Practices
- Labeling Is Key'
- Documenting Cable Locations
- Securing Cables Above Ceilings
- Cable Jacket Colors
- No Excessive Service Loops