Ranking The Lowest Cost Outdoor Cameras 2015By Derek Ward, Published May 14, 2015, 12:00am EDT
Outdoor cameras can be expensive. In our last study of this segment, the variation amongst manufacturers for their lowest cost outdoor cameras was nearly 10x.
In this new analysis, we examine 13 manufacturer products (ACTi, Arecont, Avigilon, Axis, Bosch, Dahua, D-Link, FLIR, Hikvision, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Vivotek), breaking down the following:
- Fixed Focal Outdoor IP Cameras (lowest to highest)
- Fixed Focal Outdoor HD Analog Cameras (lowest to highest)
- Varifocal Outdoor IP Cameras (lowest to highest)
- Varifocal Outdoor HD Analog Cameras (lowest to highest)
- The 4 Major Competitive Trends / Differentiators
Lowest Cost Fixed Focal Outdoor IP Models
Below are the least expensive IP camera models from major manufacturers. Cameras are listed from lowest to highest price, with form factor and resolution also listed:
- FLIR N133EB 720p IR Turret Dome: ~$90 Street Price.
- Dahua IPC-HDB4100C 1.3MP Mini Dome: ~$100 Street Price.
- Hikvision DS-2CD2112-I 1.3MP IR Dome: ~$110 Street Price.
- Samsung SNO-L6013R 1080p IR Bullet: ~$150 Street Price.
- Vivotek IB8369 1080p IR Bullet: ~$180 Street Price.
- ACTi D31 720p IR Bullet: ~$200 Street Price.
- D-Link DCS-7010L 720p IR Bullet: ~$210 Street Price.
- Bosch NUC-50022-F2 1080p Dome: ~$240 Street Price.
- Avigilon HD Micro Dome 1MP: Estimated ~$280 Street Price.
- Panasonic WV-SF138 3MP Dome: ~$320 Street Price.
- Sony SNC-XM636 1080p Dome: ~$350 Street Price.
- Axis M2014-E Bullet Camera: ~$370 Street Price.
- Arecont AV2456DN-S 1080p Dome: ~$420 Street Price.
Lowest Cost Fixed Focal HD Analog Outdoor Models
In 2013, IP was the only viable option for HD video. However, now analog HD (HDCVI/HDTVI) cameras have become common, at prices well below even the lowest IP equivalents. Outdoor models can be found for $30-60, a reduction of 60-70% compared to competitive IP models.
- Dahua HAC-HFW2100D 720p HDCVI IR Bullet: ~$30 Street Price.
- Dahua DH-HAC-HDBW1100RP-VF 720p HDCVI IR Dome : ~$40 Street Price.
- Hikvision DS-2CE16C2T-IR 720p HDTVI IR Bullet: ~$60 Street Price.
- Hikvision DS-2CD56C2T-IR 720p HDTVI IR Turret Dome: ~$60 Street Price.
Lowest Cost Varifocal Outdoor IP Models
Many integrators prefer to use only varifocal cameras, not fixed lens. The list below reflects the lowest cost varifocal models from each of the manufacturers above:
- Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I 3MP IR Bullet: ~$280 Street Price.
- Samsung SNV-L6083R 1080p IR Dome: ~$280 Street Price.
- ACTi D41 720p IR Bullet: ~$310 Street Price.
- FLIR DNE14TL2 1080p IR Dome: ~$340 Street Price.
- Vivotek FD8131V 720p Dome: ~$340 Street Price.
- Dahua IPC-HDBW5300 3MP IR Dome: ~$350 Street Price.
- D-Link DCS-6510 720p IR Dome: ~$400 Street Price.
- Bosch NTI-40012-V3 720p IR Bullet: ~$430 Street Price.
- Arecont AV1255DN-H 1.3MP Dome: ~$510 Street Price.
- Axis P1405-E 1080p Bullet: ~$540 Street Price.
- Panasonic WV-SW314 1.3MP Bullet: ~$600 Street Price.
- Avigilon 1.0-H3-DP1 720p Dome: ~$640 Street Price.
- Sony SNC-EM602R 720p IR Dome :~$730 Street Price.
Based on these prices, varifocal cameras are on average two to three times the cost of fixed lens models.
Lowest Cost Varifocal Outdoor HD Analog Models
The cost savings for HD analog was even more significant with varifocal than for fixed focal.
- Multiple Dahua CVI domes, e.g. DH-HAC-HDBW1100RP-VF, sub $100 Street Price
- Honeywell CVI HD73HD1 dome: ~$110 Street Price
- Hikvision TVI DS-2CE56D5T-(A)VPIR3: ~$160 Street Price
There are four notable trends here:
Majors Ignoring the Market
In the two years since our last look at this segment, Axis and Avigilon have not added any lower cost models (though Axis and Avigilon decreased prices modestly on many models). Both of their lowest cost models remain remote head units, while others have introduced compact bullet or dome models. Others, such as Sony and Arecont, simply have not come down in price in this segment.
Others More Aggressive
Meanwhile, low-cost competitors Dahua and Hikvision have gotten more aggressive. Both were priced at $200+ in 2013, have dropped prices 50% or more, down to the ~$100 mark. FLIR and Samsung have also released models close to these price points, and others such as ACTi, Bosch, and D-Link have released substantially less expensive cameras.
Integrated IR Prevalent
Integrated IR Illumination is also more widely available in most camera models, with 6 IP cameras and all HD analog modes listed having integrated IR. However, we recommend users field test these lower cost options, as IR range is routinely overstated by manufacturers, especially at these price points.
HD Analog Lowest Price
Most of the lowest cost HD analog outdoor models listed are at or below ~$60, with HD analog having tested well in our previous testing, with similar image quality noted between comparable MP IP and HD analog cameras. Included are links to individual HD analog tests:
Using the Camera Finder
Using the IPVM Camera Finder and BestMatch, users can compare lowest cost options between other factors, such as lowest cost PTZ's, lowest cost panoramics, lowest cost indoor cameras and so on. If there is a particular camera application you would like us to cover in future updates, let us know in the comments.
1 report cite this report:
Back to Top