Is Axis the IP Video Surveillance Vendor of the Year?Author: John Honovich, Published on Nov 29, 2009
Frost & Sullivan has awarded Axis Communications the IP Video Surveillance Vendor of the Year award. The awards were given to those who "demonstrated market-leading revenue growth and business innovation ... and are continuing to succeed in challenging times."
What Do You Think?
Background on Frost Awards
The industry consensus is that Frost & Sullivan awards are pay for play. For background, read our analysis of Frost awards with extensive industry feedback.
I view these awards as a deceptive form of vendor advertising. In my experience, vendors are most likely to 'win' these awards when they are trying to boost sales (large companies) or lack real world success (small companies).
Axis Year in Review
The award certainly triggers an important question, "How well did Axis, the biggest company in IP Video Surveillance, do this year?"
First, let's take a look at the positives for Axis which centers around an impressive number of product launches:
- Axis released a number of HD / megapixel cameras including the Q1755 (see our test results).
- Axis released two new series of fixed cameras - the P13 box and P33 dome.
- Axis improved upon their hosted video service, now called Axis STS (see our test results).
- Axis announced a new platform for video analytics (see our examination).
- Axis released a new PTZ / speeddome camera - the Q6023.
- They are losing market share in IP cameras after years of gaining it.
- Sales are declining year over year (measured in local currency terms). While the economy has impacted almost everyone, the drop in Axis growth has been especially sharp.
- Practically every Asian manufacturer and incumbent analog CCTV supplier has decided to jump into IP cameras.
- Despite Axis numerous product introductions at the high end, Axis has done little to address its weakness in supplying products for the cost conscious or budget segment of the market.
Related Reports on Awards
Most Recent Industry Reports
The world's leading video surveillance information source, IPVM provides the best reporting, testing and training for 10,000+ members globally. Dedicated to independent and objective information, we uniquely refuse any and all advertisements, sponsorship and consulting from manufacturers.