How much power an IP camera consumes is important, especially since most PoE switches have limited power budget and do not support max 15W to all cameras, making PoE Power Problems commonplace.
However, these problems can be mitigated by measuring power usage.
In this guide, we:
- Measure power consumption from 35+ different IP cameras from over 10 manufacturers.
- Compare power consumed to what the manufacturer specifies.
- Contrast power consumption for integrated IR cameras with IR illuminators on vs off.
- View the impact multiple streams have on power consumption.
- Examine issues in the boot up process for power consumption.
- Offer alternative tools to measure power consumption.